Thursday, July 25, 2013

Midget Block #83 - Evening Star


The instructions that were provided for this block were paper-piecing combined with hand or machine piecing. It is the outer corner sections of the block that are recommended for hand or machine piecing and they do have an awkward seam that sealed the deal for hand-piecing for me. So, after looking at the block, I decided that I would just hand-piece the whole thing.

I have found while working on these blocks that when I combine paper-piecing with hand piecing that I generally end up with frustration and a mess. I always have to remind myself that the instructions provided are really just suggestions and that the quilt police will not seek me out for doing it my own way!

When I started sewing the block together, my first reaction was to sew the center star and then add the surrounding pieces but no..no..no.. I quickly realized it was not the best way to proceed.











So I unstitched and then sewed the pieces together so that they made a square.

Once the individual blocks were made it was just a matter of joining them together to create the finished block.

4 comments:

Deb A said...

Great job! The instructions are just suggestions. I think hand piecing this one was smart.

Quilter Kathy said...

Great job on the hand piecing! The block is so pretty!

Cheryl said...

Good Morning Ellen

Love your evening star. Your fabric selection is really cute. Good job!

scraphappy said...

I like the way you put this one together, much more straight forward than the suggested pattern. I agree completely about not having good luck combining hand and paper piecing. I've never had good luck with it.