Monday, July 22, 2013

Dear Jane - Water Lily (B-8)

I have been thinking about my Dear Jane quilt for the past while and how I have abandoned it and my Midget Blocks as well. I didn't really mean to, it just happened, but I have been just thinking about them long enough and it is time to take action!

On Sunday, I started the prep work for Block B-8 and I even managed to get it all finished and it turned out really well. I am very happy with my applique pieces and their alignment. As a beginner to the process of applique, I find that accurate alignment can be really challenging. I creased the corners to help with keeping the petals centered and I used a Frixion pen to place a small dot where the point of the petal should go and I did manage to hit it fairly well.

Once I finished hand piecing the block together I added the petals using 'freezer paper on top needle turn' applique. I used wonderful silk thread for the applique and I think it does make a big difference with the stitch quality.

Even the back looks pretty darn good!



6 comments:

Deb A said...

Beautiful job! I have trouble with lining things up on the applique.... speaking of which I need to applique down three more things for my Midget block this week. Thanks for the reminder!

Quilter Kathy said...

Way to go! I am in the same boat this week...trying a couple of applique blocks for my Votes for Women sampler. I love the look of it and would be happy if I could at least be competent at it!!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on a great Dear Jane block. Hand piecing really does nice things for accuracy. It looks picture perfect.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your little Lily Water - Dear Jane block. Cute fabric too! Well one more block added to your collection. Well done! Love sis

audrey said...

Wonderful block and great work with your applique!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your Water Lily block turned out beautiful!