Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Unpick or Just Start Over?


Last month I showed my green blocks that I had made for my Boy's Britches quilt. They looked so good but sadly they were a bit too big. I had changed my sewing machine and I thought I had adjusted my 1/4" seam but apparently I had not. There are so many points and places that these blocks need to match when they are joined together and it would be very noticeable that they were off. I decided that I would take them apart and restitch them together. That plan didn't last very long!! Last week, I was visiting with my sister for the day and I took the blocks along with me to take apart and I got one seam on one block unstitched and that was enough for me to quit - it was just too much work. I decided that it would be much easier to just remake them and put these larger blocks in with my orphan blocks. They are really cute and I am pretty sure I will find another quilt to use them in - they could potentially find their way onto the back.

Last night I started cutting more parts for my Boy's Britches blocks. I have fallen behind in making them in the colours of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge so I need to make them in green, blue and now yellow. I did get all of the coloured parts of the britches cut out. I use a homemade plastic template to mark the fabric for cutting these pieces because they are an awkward shape but happily they fit very well on the 3.5" strips from my scrap bins. I still need to cut the black and the white fabric and I plan to have all of these blocks finished by the end of the month - I hope!

After cutting the needed pieces I am left with a pile of strip ends that need to be cut down and I have started that process too. I will finish cutting these leftover bits into rectangles and squares today and they will be ready to use in a future quilt.


8 comments:

scraphappy said...

The biggie sized blocks would make a great addition to the back. Sounds like you will be caught up again in no time at all. It is going to be such a cute quilt at the end of the year.

Peg said...

Well, those are cute blocks, way too cute to waste! I'd do the same as you, find another quilt or something to use them in and make others. That frogging is just to much like work!!

Deb A said...

I agree on the keeping the blocks as is and using them on the back or in another project. Great job doing all the prep work for your blocks. That is the difficult part for me.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Great idea to sew the oversized blocks to the back of the quilt!
The design is really darling. Wishing you smooth sailing on the do-over blocks!

Quilter Kathy said...

Yah...I would put them on the back and remake for the front :) Love these blocks, but I know how hard they are to make!

audrey said...

Unpicking sounds very unfun. If you made just two more the same size, you would have the start to a small baby sized quilt maybe?

Grit said...

Looks so fantastic.
Greetings Grit

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love your boy britches blocks. You could also make a little boys quilt using those over sized blocks.

Love sis