Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Stars and Nines Border

I finished making these borders this morning and I think they turned out great. When I posted about them last I had made all the parts to put the 9 patches together and I had also made one test block just to make sure the size worked. I had a brain cramp last night when I was working on them and ended up having to unsew a few sections but once I got myself sorted out it was all good. These borders are a little longer than the actual quilt top (I used 4.5" nine patches) so I need to add a coping strip around the entire top before I add them. I need to use my dining room table to press and measure the top so I can cut the strips to size but the table is filled with folded laundry that needs to be taken care of and I am not sure if I have enough of the dot fabric washed and ready to use anyway. I am quite anxious to finish up this quilt so hopefully I will get everything in order quickly!

One thing new for me is that I am now sewing on my Janome 1600 instead of my Singer 301 and I really like it! I find that my seam allowance is accurate and it seems to stay accurate and not drift. It is such a fast machine - it uses a different type of needle than a regular sewing machine and it just whips through thick seams without any problem at all.

4 comments:

scraphappy said...

Your borders look great, they are really going to set of the top nicely. Have fun with that coping strip math -- it always makes my brain hurt to try to get it to work our right.

Julierose said...

Really pretty borders--they will look great on the quilt..Julierose

audrey said...

Great looking borders! I always sew my borders before I figure out the math on the coping strip too. Much more accurate that way. Nice to have a machine that works well for you too!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

The borders look fantastic! They will look wonderful with the rest of the quilt top! Looking forward to see it! Love sis