Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Making Progress on Donation Quilt


This is how I left my design wall last night and I am fairly happy with how it looks. I think the border is going to be too dark as is, so I plan to make some small pinwheels from the focus fabric and white to use in the border. This quilt top is coming together quickly and that is a good thing because I need it for Friday morning. I got all of the pinwheels made yesterday. I used white on white 3.5" hsts from my parts bins but I didn't have a lot of variety. I only had two different patterns and I used them all up and still needed more. I found a couple strips each of the same patterns in my 3.5" strip bins but in the end it still was not quite enough. I ended up cutting some pieces from solid white as well.

I want the quilt to be big enough for an older child or to donate to the women's shelter so last night I added sashing and cornerstones to most of the blocks. I just have a couple more to sash but I need to cut more strips of the teal fabric. At first I thought I would add a lighter/brighter fabric as the sashing but it just wasn't doing it for me. I am making this quilt on the fly - no forethought or plan so it is being designed by the seat of my pants using fabric that I already have in my stash.

I am going to Toronto this morning and probably won't be back until supper time so that leaves me with this evening and tomorrow to get it all finished and that is definitely do-able if I can figure out the border without too much difficulty!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I think this little on the fly quilt looks really quite pretty. Love the contrast. The busy little Asian Fabric looks wonderful with the white on white and the teal borders. Love the little Asian corner stones that you added. I think this little number will be very loved! Love sis

Peg said...

What a great quilt! Love the sashing and corner stones - pulls everything together! Can't wait to see what you do with the border!

Julierose said...

I really like the addition of the sashings and cornerstones, too. They make it all so pretty...Julierose

laurajane said...

Looking good.Xx

audrey said...

Looking very good! It's fun to make something simple once in awhile. Instant gratification.:)

Crispy said...

The seat of your pants are very talented :0). Someone is going to be very happy with this quilt.

Crispy