Friday, May 10, 2013

I'm Still Here


Exciting things are happening! I will be purchasing a used APQS Millennium long arm machine and I can't wait to get it here so that I can learn how to use it. I am hoping to pick it up on Saturday otherwise we will have to wait until Wed or Thurs and I just don't want to wait. Now that I have made my decision I just want it here now!

I have been spending quite a bit of time researching - contacting the somewhat local dealer and APQS directly as well. I have been watching tons of videos on-line and drooling at the quilting that some of these artists are doing - absolutely amazing and quite frankly stunning. I don't think I will ever be in those leagues and will be happy if I can just become half as proficient! I did try out the machine and I think I did pretty good for my first quilt. Of course, I didn't try anything fancy just my usual loopy-loop meander but I am happy with the way it turned out and it was quick to complete compared to my current setup. I am pretty sure the owner was glad that I didn't try to do anything too intricate. He did have a panto ready for me to use to practice with and it was also a loopy-loop design but it was huge and much less dense than I would normally do. I really wanted to test the machine using free-motion quilting and he didn't have a problem with that even though it did take me much longer than if I just used the panto.

I have started cleaning up and rearranging my sewing room and I think I am going to have to hang my sewing tables from the ceiling. My sewing room is a bedroom on the second floor and it is 10' x 15'. The new set-up is 12' long but I think I need quite a bit of space for the depth of the machine - up to 6 - 8 feet. That would include the space required for me to stand on either side to operate it as well. I really won't know until I have it here and set up but I am hoping that I can somehow squeeze my sewing tables along one wall. This will only be temporary until the basement is finished and then we will move it down there.

7 comments:

Deb A said...

Congrats! I hope the pickup and delivery goes smoothly for you tomorrow.

Katie M. said...

Congratulations! And be prepared to start hanging those sewing tables! I went from a simple Juki on a Gracie frame to a Tin Lizzy 18 and was really surprised how much more room it required... Lucky you to at least know you'll be having a larger space to eventually move it to!!

Frances said...

I am excited for you! I look forward to hearing all about it - I guess it is something we all dream about.

audrey said...

Very exciting for you!

Quilter Kathy said...

Exciting news from Ellen's quilt emporium! Congrats!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Congratulation! I know it will be well used! I have been saving up my quilt tops in anticipation! Love sis

scraphappy said...

How exciting! What fun you will have finishing off quilts with your new machine. I hope you have a stack of finished tops ready to finish off!