Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cutting and Sewing...


Yesterday I cut a bunch of reds and a blue dot fabric into 1.5" strips and by the time I went to bed last night I had lots of strip sets made and pressed.

This morning I cut them into 1.5" segments and I cut a few of the setting triangles as well. I did sew one sample together to make sure that they fit together and happily they work.

I am making these 9 patches for a border and I need 66 of them. When I was preparing the strip sets I didn't really pay too much attention to how many I was going to end up with but I did make sure that I had cut more than enough of the blue dot strips so there should be plenty. I just guessed on the allocation of how many red/blue/red vs blue/red/blue sets and hopefully I end up with just the right amount. What are the odds of that happening - who knows - but if I don't have enough of one or the other I can always make more!

I did make my blue 9 patches for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week. We are supposed to use our sapphire blue scraps this month and save the lighter blue and teal/turquoise for future months. I don't think I really have too many sapphire blue scraps but I do have a lot of darker or navy blue scraps so that is what I went with. I have plenty of these darker blue 2.5" squares to make many more of these blocks but this is all I need of this particular shade of blue for the rainbow quilt I am making. I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Why not pop over to see what other participants have made with their scraps this week.

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

Lovely blue blocks. It is all about using up what you have.

Julierose said...

Such cute 9-patches; one of my all time favorite blocks. Hugs, Julierose

Sheila said...

Beautiful blue and red fabrics! Will make a striking border. Love those nine patch blocks.

Karen said...

I like the 9 patch blocks. Your blue and red blocks are pretty. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt.

audrey said...

You're getting a lot done this week!

Sarah said...

blue and red seem to be made for each other!

Cathy said...

Can't wait to see what you are bordering. I wish I was a "border person". I can never figure out what will look good. Lots of times the border makes the quilt.

I love the small blocks. They are so cute.

Quilter Kathy said...

Lots of blue action in your sewing room this weekend!
ENjoy!

Edith said...

I really like your dark blue (nine patches) blocks with the white in the middle, very appealing.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the little nine patches. They will look really cute as the border! Love sis

Deb A said...

Pretty nine patches for your border. I went with the darker blues too - and am throwing in some lights and brights - since I am too lazy to pull them out of the pile!