Saturday, May 18, 2013
Cutting and Sewing...
Yesterday I cut a bunch of reds and a blue dot fabric into 1.5" strips and by the time I went to bed last night I had lots of strip sets made and pressed.
This morning I cut them into 1.5" segments and I cut a few of the setting triangles as well. I did sew one sample together to make sure that they fit together and happily they work.
I am making these 9 patches for a border and I need 66 of them. When I was preparing the strip sets I didn't really pay too much attention to how many I was going to end up with but I did make sure that I had cut more than enough of the blue dot strips so there should be plenty. I just guessed on the allocation of how many red/blue/red vs blue/red/blue sets and hopefully I end up with just the right amount. What are the odds of that happening - who knows - but if I don't have enough of one or the other I can always make more!
I did make my blue 9 patches for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week. We are supposed to use our sapphire blue scraps this month and save the lighter blue and teal/turquoise for future months. I don't think I really have too many sapphire blue scraps but I do have a lot of darker or navy blue scraps so that is what I went with. I have plenty of these darker blue 2.5" squares to make many more of these blocks but this is all I need of this particular shade of blue for the rainbow quilt I am making. I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Why not pop over to see what other participants have made with their scraps this week.