Friday, April 12, 2013

Priscilla Stars



Today, while I was in my sewing room cutting up my green scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge I kept eyeing my piles of strings and crumbs. As you know, I have made a commitment to myself to work with these pieces and to whittle down the piles. Over the past while, I have been trying to decide what I wanted to make with them. I didn't just want to start sewing them together willy nilly without a plan of some sort and now I have one!

I have settled on making Priscilla Star blocks. I used an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper and sewed my strings onto it lengthwise. I wanted to get as many star points from the sheet as possible so I did sew the strips a bit longer and wider than the sheet of paper. I see from my sample that I either sewed the strips too short or conversely too long because I did have excess, but not quite enough for another star point - too funny.
New fabric

Once I sewed my fabric strips to the paper, I removed it and sprayed the fabric with starch and pressed it. I used the Dear Jane triangle ruler to make my star points. In my test, the star points are 5" long so before I cut them from the "new fabric" I cut a strip that was 3.5" wide from the long side. This allowed me to also get 3.5" strip pieced blocks. These may go into the center of the star points or I may do something else like crumb blocks, hourglasses, squares - not too sure yet. I also still need to figure out and make a template for cutting the background fabric for the blocks. Of course, I will still have to figure out how to use the extra pieces of scraps that are left!!!
Not quite big enough!


9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the Priscilla Stars. I have been looking at the same pattern in Block Base. It is so very pretty and I think will make a beautiful quilt.

Deb A said...

I love your choice of block for using up those small bits. Very pretty. How about crumbs with the extra bits?

scraphappy said...

Making "new" fabric looks like fun. The leftover bits will make great starts for crumb blocks. Best of all, the star blocks are fabulous. What a beautiful quilt they will make.

Peg said...

What a great idea for all those little strips! I've just found another pattern I think I want to try for using up my 2.5" strips - just need to work through a couple other projects before I start yet another!

Crispy said...

Very cool star! The bits that are left over, why not just trim them up a bit and sew them together all willy nilly. Would make an interesting scrappy quilt :0)

Crispy

Cathy Tomm said...

Great start on a very scrappy block. It will be interesting to see what you do with it. I keep making little piles. I try hard to keep them sorted for the RSC.

Frances said...

It looks like a great scrap project - I am so excited to see it turn into a quilt!

Cathy said...

Love the Priscilla stars. They look so vintage.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the process of making my scrappy star. I am starting a pumpkin seed scrap quilt this summer.