Sunday, April 7, 2013

Marking for Hand Quilting

I have taken a huge leap of faith and have started marking my quilt top with a Frixion pen in preparation for hand quilting. I dithered and dithered about using washable markers because I am just so afraid that all of my work will be messed up if the ink doesn't wash out. I was all set and ready to use a marker today but then I saw the Frixion pens that I had purchased previously and I changed my mind. I did do a little test and the iron does take out the marks which is a good thing because I already needed to use it to remove a boo-boo. Apparently the marks will return if the temps are cold enough but I also think if that happens you can remove them again just by ironing them out.

When I quilted my first Seven Sisters quilt I used a Hera marker and it took me so long to finish the quilting. I could only mark a few baptist fans at a time because the marks would disappear after I manhandled my quilt. It is not very convenient to stop quilting, find a spot where I could spread the quilt out to mark and then get back to quilting. Hopefully, using the Frixion pens will make it quicker for me to finish this quilt. Of course, there is quite a time investment initially to mark all of the fans but I think it will work out much better for me.

Even though I am not actually quilting yet, I am prepping for a whole lot of it and I am linking up to Kathy's Quilts -Slow Sunday Stitching.

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

It sounds like a nice plan to have everything marked out ahead of time. I've had good luck with washable markers -- hope yours comes out well.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love using the hera marker, don't have any problem with the marks disappearing. I mark after is sandwiched on a hard surface and use quite a bit of pressure. Haven't tried it on curves yet.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the baptist fan quilting! Good luck with the marking. I am going to have to try marking when I start doing the quilts i have ready too.

Crispy said...

Where do you buy those pens? Do the lines fade?

Crispy

Peg said...

Aren't those Frixion pens remarkable! I've been using mine lately on some applique, and so much nicer than the water-erasable ones. That looks like a fantastic quilt!

audrey said...

I have tried one in very limited areas and had good luck. Using it with the baptist fan pattern sounds like a great idea!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like a great idea and I can't wait to hear how you like it. I am thinking of a hand quilted baptist fan project and if you like this pen idea, I'll try it out too!
Thanks for linking up!

Deb A said...

You will be all set to quilt away! It sounds like a great solution for you. Let us know how you like the pen.