Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Linked is Quilted


My thread tails still need to be sewn in.
I loaded this quilt onto the frame on Saturday and I was all gung-ho to quilt but then I had so many problems with my bobbin. At first it was all okay and I got a couple rows done but all of a sudden things changed. I would only quilt about 3" and then I would have to unstitch and try again. Talk about frustrating!

I don't want to work on my quilts unless I am feeling happy - I think when I am frustrated that it somehow shows in the quilt when it is finished, so I left it and tried to quilt on Sunday. Same thing - I just couldn't make it happen. I had such a hard time - my thread kept binding in the bobbin and then snapping. I had a spare bobbin case but it was not up to snuff either. The local quilt shop was not open on Sunday so I had to wait until Monday to buy a new bobbin case. I actually took the old cases to the tech shop to show them what was happening. The best solution was to just buy a new case and try it and thankfully it worked. I will make another trip over to the shop soon to buy another bobbin case to keep as a backup. It was less than $20 for the replacement and it would have saved so much time and energy if I had a decent spare on hand.
backing
I finished quilting Linked on Monday evening and I am really happy with the results. I did a loopy-loop meander and I think it works well. I already have the binding cut so today I plan to sew it onto the front and then spend a couple evenings hand stitching it to the back. I will be seeing the recipient of this quilt, Evelyn, on May 4 so I do have plenty of time to finish it up.

I had been toying with the idea of upgrading my quilting system to something a little more professional so that I can develop my quilting skills and expand my repertoire of free-motion quilting designs and this last trial just may have pushed me over the edge. Now, I just have to convince my husband that the cost of an upgraded system is not 'that much' if you figure I will be quilting for 20-30 more years - at least I hope to be!!


6 comments:

laurajane said...

Such a beautiful quilt.x

Grit said...

Wonderful quilt. And quilting looks fantastic.
Greetings Grit

Crispy said...

Ah the joys of machine quilting. I can snicker a little because I don't have those issues when hand quilting LOL.

I am very happy that it was a quick fix however. And the logic you used for an upgrade sounds very convincing to me :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Linked is such a pretty quilt. Love the loopy pattern. I hope you get the upgrade that you so very much would like. Love sis

Deb A said...

so pretty! I hope you get your upgrade wish... just think of all the $$ you'll save by not having to send those big quilts out!

Quilter Kathy said...

It looks great from here. Sounds like a frustrating journey though :(
Good for you for sticking with it!