Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I Need a Quilt Top - Fast!

I will be going to see a 'new-to-me' quilting system on Friday so I need a quilt top made really quickly to take with me to test out the machine/frame. I know that many quilters have tons of quilt tops ready and waiting for their turn to be quilted but I don't usually hang on to them that long. Once I get a top pieced and the borders on, I want to see it as a finished quilt as soon as possible. That being said, I do have two finished quilt tops ready to go, The Engineer's Wife and an orange/green top that I haven't shown on my blog, but I don't want to use them as practice pieces.

I quickly dug through my parts bins and pulled out some 3.5" hsts. It just happens that I also have a larger piece of this Asian fabric and I can use it for the borders if I want to. This top is being designed on the fly so I am not sure how big it will be or what it will end up looking like. If it is big enough I think it will eventually become a donation quilt to a local women's shelter and if not maybe a Project Linus quilt for an older girl.

Ready to add to the design wall.
I have been AWOL the last several days. Our internet service was not working properly and constantly kept blinking in and out. My husband was finally able to fix it by replacing the router but it took a couple days because as you know - there is ALWAYS a problem or special circumstances. My husband has our system set up in a very custom design and you can't just plug something in and say 'done'. You would think that while I was incommunicado that I spent a lot of time sewing but nada - I only did a bit of hand-quilting on my yellow paisley Seven Sisters.



4 comments:

Deb A said...

Good luck with your quilt top. It sounds like it will be a great one to practice with a 'new' machine on. So.... did you convince your DH that you need a new machine quilting setup? Have fun trying a few out. Will you be showing your yellow sisters quilt on slow stitch Sunday? Looking forward to seeing it.

Crispy said...

So what quilting system are you going to test drive?

Crispy

laurajane said...

I really like this one ,it's going to look great when it's finined.Cant wait to see it quilted.xx

Quilter Kathy said...

Have fun trying out the new system and give us a full report!