Friday, April 19, 2013

Engineer's Wife Flimsy

This quilt top ended up huge - 79" x 96".  My husband and my son are trying to hold it up and they are having a bit of trouble doing it even though they are both quite tall. I added four borders to the quilt top and even though this is not the best picture I think that they do work.

Originally, I had made an error with the block size in my design so I still have enough blocks for a second quilt. I thought I could make twin quilts - one for my husband and one for me but I only have just under a half meter of the dark blue fabric left. That will not be enough to complete the second quilt and I cannot get anymore of that particular solid. Many of the extra blocks already have the inner frame of blue/neutral stitched on and I don't really want to take it off. I have set the extra blocks aside for the time being until I can make a decision on how I want to proceed. Hopefully, I can come up with an alternate fabric/idea quickly so that I can get it turned into a quilt that can be used. I think I might like to see a very small print that is blue and brown so I will have to keep an eye out for something whenever I go fabric shopping. I have also been toying with the idea of using a dark brown solid but I haven't done a test to see if I will like it or not. The backing and binding are made so the next step is quilting and I still have some time for that.

8 comments:

Crispy said...

It came out beautifully Ellen !! I knew it would LOL.

Crispy

audrey said...

Beautiful finish! Wonderful setting solution that came off very, very well. I just love how unique sampler quilts can be.

Deb A said...

Beautiful!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love the way you share your thought process on possibilities! Hope you will be able to find something that works for the second quilt. The first one is amazing! Well done!

Sheila said...

BEAUTIFUL quilt, Ellen!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Quilt is gorgeous! John must be very happy! Love sis

Manuela said...

Congratulation. It's a beautiful quilt.

Greetings Manuela

Cathy said...

Gorgeous! Is this a take-off on Farmer's Wife Sampler? If so...I definitely think I need to get back to working on mine because I love yours!