Saturday, April 20, 2013

Backing Alignment and RSC


Look at me- I am aligned perfectly!
Today I plan on doing some machine quilting and I have my Linked quilt ready to load on the frame. Normally, I don't bother aligning the pattern on the backing fabric unless it is so prominent that it would be seriously noticeable because no matter how I try it always seems to shift while I am sewing it together. The backing fabric that I chose to use for this quilt has a definite pattern and I wanted to make sure that I aligned it properly. I always have so much trouble doing that - but not this time! I didn't take any pictures of the process but this is how I did it.

I laid the first panel of the backing fabric face up on a table and then I took the second panel, making sure the pattern was going in the right direction, I began to align the motifs where I wanted them to join. I used an iron to press the top panel right sides together with the bottom panel as I moved along the length of the fabric continually aligning the motifs. I used a fabric glue stick to hold the two panels together along the matched motifs. Once everything was aligned and glued, and making sure to not shift anything, I carefully pinned the two panels together to hold them securely for sewing. One of the benefits that I found from using this method was that the press line also became the perfect sewing line.

Yesterday, I made the green version of my mini stars for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. These twinkling little stars will finish at 3". Some of the fabrics used in these stars came from my string bins and some came from my 1.5" strip bins. I still have not decided how these stars will be used but they do have so many possibilities. Take a minute and visit with Angela over at soscrappy and check out the other links to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

12 comments:

Peg said...

Lovely stars! But am I ever impressed with that aligning job! Not sure I'd want to tackle that!

scraphappy said...

Great idea for aligning the patterns. The idea of pressing a crease makes so much sense. Getting it all to match is always tricky.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Your stars are so pretty and I'm really impressed with your fabric alignment too!

Crispy said...

Love you solution on the backing fabric. Very ingenious :0) The little stars are sweet, I'm sure you will come up with a great setting.

Crispy

Sheila said...

Wow! Perfectly aligned. I'm impressed!
Such cute tiny green stars : )

Edith said...

My, all kinds of things happening here, back looks good, top (link) is gorgeous and I'm impressed with the little stars!

katie z. said...

Excellent work!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Great alignment and your little green stars are adorable. Love sis

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your stars! I have a little star block project and really enjoy adding the blocks each month to the pile.
When will we know that we are done?!?!

Cathy said...

I remember aligning fabrics at the seams when sewing clothes long, long ago! I don't think anyone pays much attention to that anymore but I have to say on some fabrics it really bothers me. Your solution was a good one! Looks great.

And I love the stars.

Cathy Tomm said...

Great star blocks. So many different fabrics, makes it sparkle.

Deb A said...

Great job on the backing! Cute little stars.... I wonder what they will turn into.