Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Orange Week 1

Isn't orange a wonderful colour. It is bright and happy and quite intense just like red but without the reputation. To me it is a colour of innocence - fun and childlike.

For this week, I have made four 9 patch blocks to add to the ones that I made last year. I am determined to have a pretty 9 patch rainbow quilt by the end of this year.

I have spent time during the past few days sorting and cutting my orange scraps into the sizes needed to make my planned blocks for March. I have used strips from my 3.5", 2.5", and 1.5" bins and scrap bins as well as taken some strips from some fat quarters. I am not done yet but I certainly have made a good start to the task. I am linking up to soscrappy's Scraphappy Saturday. Check it out  - there are lots of links to many wonderful projects.

15 comments:

Deb A said...

Very pretty Ellen. You keep at it and you will have a wonderful bright rainbow quilt in December.

Sheila said...

I like your plan. I cut 2.5" strips last year and used them to make a colorful strip quilt in November. This year I'm cutting 5" tumblers and 2.5" squares each month. Just love this rainbow challenge. I get so many ideas from others that play.

Terri said...

What a great way of getting muliple quilts done in a hurry... Love the 9 patches. I think that arrangement is called Cobblestones. It'll make a wonderful quilt.
Hugs

Cathy said...

A rainbow quilt of blocks like this will be gorgeous. What a great idea.

Cathy Tomm said...

Great Orange 9 patch blocks. The cutting can take the longest. Sort and cutting the correct sizes.

Candace said...

Great orange blocks and quite a mix of fabrics. What a wonderful array of quilts we will all have at the end of the year.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love your little lovely orange blocks they do look so fresh and pretty! Love sis

Angie said...

What a cheerful collection of oranges! I really like this style of 9-patch, I'm going to have to make myself a reminder to try some.

Connie said...

Beautiful blocks Ellen and I love the color orange, it makes me think of summer!

Quilter Kathy said...

YUM! Orange is a fun colour! We are going to have fun this month!

Jamie in Louisiana said...

Like you, I spent some time sorting thru my cut strips. Very nice blocks, I'm looking forward to seeing more in weeks to come.

Linda said...

Your blocks are so cute. I can't wait to see what all you have planned...

scraphappy said...

Off to a great start with orange! Like red without the reputation-- too funny.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I may have more scraps you can use if you need them! HaHa! Love sis

Cheryl said...

See you Monday!