Saturday, March 16, 2013

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Orange Baskets


Last night I didn't get into bed until after midnight because I was very busy making these baskets. I had started sewing some of the components together several days ago but there still was a lot to do to get them finished. I had a great day yesterday, cooking and baking and not so much cleaning. I finished the dishes at 9:20 pm and then I hightailed it into my sewing room to finish these baskets. I think I really like the on-point setting better than the standard horizontal layout. Hop on over to soscrappy's to check out the links to other fabulous scrappy orange projects.

One of the things I did yesterday was to make this bread. I had not tried this recipe before but it was quite easy and turned out really well. Next time I will have to make the loaves a bit shorter. When they rose they were too long for the pan and they got all curvy. I didn't use a mixer - I just started mixing it with a spoon and then switched to using my hands once the dough started to come together. The dough didn't require much kneading other than a couple minutes or so. I didn't get a picture until after someone had already cut the loaf, it appears that they just couldn't wait. When Eric got home from school (he gets home quite late in the evening) he had some and requested that I make it again - success! I have been using recipes from Mennonite Girls Can Cook for several weeks now and every one of the bread/pizza/bun recipes that I have tried are really good.

Peanut is doing very well after her surgery - she is such a little cuddle-bug puppy and she is really enjoying the extra attention. She had a follow-up visit with the vet this morning and everything looks good.

Today is a special day for two reasons - it is International Quilting Day and more importantly it is my son Eric's birthday. Happy Birthday to Eric!!

13 comments:

audrey said...

Your baskets are looking great! My family would love for me to bake bread, but I rarely do because of the time it takes.:)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love your baskets, and I agree they seem to always look better on point.

laurajane said...

Baskets look lovely,great job.
The bread looks delicious ,Im afraid I cheat and use a bread maker .
Laura xx

Cathy said...

I love any kind of basket blocks and love homemade bread. Both are yummy looking.

Angie said...

The orange collection of mini-baskets looks great! Haven't had dinner yet - the bread picture alone is making me hungry!

Edith said...

You had a productive day, the bread is making my mouth water. Happy Birthday to Eric!

make.share.give said...

Your orange baskets look pretty and your curvy bread looks yummy.

Judy D in WA said...

Love your baskets! There's nothing better than home made bread. Yum.

Quilter Kathy said...

Glad Peanut is doing well.
I would love to try making bread one of these days!

Sheila said...

Love your orange baskets. Yummy looking bread :D

Deb A said...

That bread looks yummy - thanks for the link.
Beautiful baskets... I like them on point too. Happy late bday to your son.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen
Your basket look really beautiful! Going to look amazing when completed. Your bread looks yummy and of course better than I could do but the shape does remind me of giant inch worms! HaHaHa Love sis

Andee said...

Very nice orange blocks!