Sunday, March 10, 2013

Engineers Wife Blocks Again

Railroad, Dove in the Window, Indian Plume
Last night after supper I quickly made my way to my sewing room before I got distracted by anything else. I didn't really have a plan as to what I was going to work on but when I sat down at my sewing machine I saw a little pile of hsts that I had started putting together for an Engineer's Wife block. It has been quite some time since I last made a block and I was in the middle of making Indian Plume when I left off. The thing is, I didn't know that I was in the middle of making the block - I discovered that as I tried to sort out how I left things.

It's funny, but whenever I leave a project I always think that I will remember what I was doing and that I will know the next step when I return at some time in the future. The problem is that my brain is totally cluttered up with so much useless knowledge that I often forget such important things as what stage I left my quilt block in. After a bit of hmmmming and ohhhhing, I finally got myself and these three blocks together and they do look good! I think I have 10 more blocks to go and then I will be ready to think about how I am going to sash them and turn them into a quilt for my husband. I plan to give it to him for his birthday and I have until mid May to get it done.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I do the same thing. I have taken to pinning post-its to things. I even keep them because I can often reuse the same post-it for multiple projects. This way I spend more time sewing and less wondering. This is also why I do not cut everything in advance. I like to cut right before I sew. But that is an odd, personal preference I am told.

Manuela said...

Your blocks are wonderful.
Nice colors and fabrics.

Greetings, Manuela

audrey said...

I try to jot down a little note or drawing to remind myself, but sometimes I don't because I'm positive I'll be back very soon! Your blocks are looking very good.:)

Deb A said...

Great blocks! I too forget where I leave things off. Post it notes are a great idea.

scraphappy said...

I think we all walk away from time to time thinking we will remember. Glad you got it all sorted out though.

Linda said...

Yes, I do it too. I try not to stop in the middle of things anymore. If I do, I keep the pattern right there and put a sticky note on it where I stopped. That way, I can just pick up again where I left off. I keep sticky notes and little arrow stickies right beside my sewing machine and in my knitting bag for these purposes. It really helps keep me straight.