Friday, March 29, 2013

Putting it Together - In More Ways Than One

I am so in love with this quilt top that I just might have to make two! Well, really only because I made a huge mistake when I created the design for this quilt. I had sized my blocks incorrectly and I just didn't clue in - even when my design walls were overflowing with blocks and I was going through an enormous amount of the blue fabric that I was using for the sashing.

When I started, I was pretty sure that I had more than enough fabric to sash all of the blocks and make a narrow border and binding as well. But, the fabric was disappearing quickly and I kept wondering 'what the heck is going on' - I am not going to have enough to make this quilt! So I rechecked my design and wow...what a dough-head!! The blocks in my design were smaller than the ones I was actually making, so now this quilt will only need 32 blocks - less than the 50 I had planned on and way less than the 67 I have made. I do want to use up all of the blocks so I think a second quilt will be in the making. One will be The Engineer's Wife and the other will be The Wife of the Engineer. I am not sure what the design will look like for the second quilt but if I do make them exactly the same I will have to go out and buy more solid blue fabric.

6 comments:

audrey said...

Wow! This is looking very sharp! Love how it's all coming together for you. I'm sure you'll have fun with the 2nd set of blocks too, so many possibilities!

Grit said...

Wow, fantastic work. Such nice colors.

Grit from Germany

Deb A said...

That is coming along so well and the colors and design are very sharp. Love it. Bummer on the design boo boo.... but it sounds like you get 2 quilts now so maybe it is a good thing! I think a trip to the store for more blue is on tap for you next week.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

What a hoot! Two for one! Both you and John will look wonderful in your matching blankets! Maybe you should add pink to yours! Hahahaha!

Crispy said...

I'm really loving this quilt too!! I look forward to seeing the color scheme you use for the Wife quilt :0)

Crispy

Peg said...

What a delightful surprise - to get 2 for 1, well almost. Maybe the Wife of the Engineer needs a different sashing. Still think it's a gorgeous quilt!