Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Midget Block #73 - Dogwood


I have to admit that every time I looked at this background fabric I had to smile. I practically grinned the whole time I worked on this block. It is such a fun fabric and I wish I had more...lots more. I only bought half a meter because it was a bit expensive for my budget but I had to have it. I do still have most of it left because this is the first time I have used it. I also used orange scraps for the rest of the block so I think it definitely qualifies for the March Rainbow Scrap Challenge as well!

This cute little block was made using multiple techniques. I paper-pieced the teeth (also known as petal arcs) and hand appliqued them to the background squares. I sewed the 4 patches and the squares together by machine.

I really wanted to use my Roxanne's glue for the applique but I just could not get the applicator clear so the glue could flow. I had cleaned it out the best I could after the last use but obviously I didn't do a good enough job. I tried to poke things into the applicator but I could not clear it. I think I am going to soak it in hot water and see if that will work. Since I couldn't use it I used Elmer's glue instead and it seemed to work okay. After I applied the glue I needed to use the iron to press it down and make it stick but I did have good results.


7 comments:

Crispy said...

Oh My that background fabric is wonderful!! It gives such movement to this block too :o)

Crispy

audrey said...

wonderful background fabric! this block is great.:)

Deb A said...

Great block! It yells sunshine and sun to me!

Linda said...

I like your background fabric too. It looks like smiles...so cute and the orange goes great with it.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love your fabric too! Really a cute and unique block. Love sis

Peg said...

That fabric is certainly worth smiling over! The block reminds me of a jack-o-lantern grinning - cute!

scraphappy said...

Love your orange fabrics for this one. Something about orange is just so happy!