Monday, March 4, 2013

Fabric Scraps


I have been thinking about my two towers of scraps lately and I think I have found a way to help me to get them under control. I have not done anything major to deal with the situation so it has basically stayed the same since I last posted about it. To my credit, I have taken out strips that I could use in my mini basket and mini star blocks and I have made sure that I have not added to the problem. I have been dealing with all current scraps by immediately cutting them down to usable pieces. Some of these pieces have been really quite small because quite frankly most of my scraps are small bits and pieces or very narrow strips that are less than 2" wide and more often less than 1.5". Why save such small pieces when they seem to just get thrown into these piles? The reason is simple and that is because I do like to make small blocks and they only require small pieces. But, like many quilters I am always getting sidetracked with other projects. Taking control of these scraps is just a matter of making a specific plan and spending the time to do something with them - at least that is what I keep telling myself!

As I have been making my mini basket and mini star blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (hosted by soscrappy), I have been using some of the scrap strips that are at least 1.5" wide and cutting out the square, qst and hst shapes until the pieces of fabric scraps are done. These blocks require 1.5" strips as well as 1" strips and pieces so each block really does not use up a lot of fabric.

I am now getting little stacks of these extra shapes and instead of putting them back into scrap bins, I think I will use them as a leaders/ender project to continue to make very scrappy versions of these blocks. I mean really....these mini star and basket blocks are adorable!









Who knows, after I get hundreds of them made I will have a new quilt and I will be using up the smallest of scraps. I can also see using them in borders as well - the possibilities are endless. Of course, this would end up being a very long term project but I am okay with that - I plan on living a very long time! I also need to challenge myself to make string and crumb blocks every week. I do like to use these blocks in my Project Linus quilts so that is definitely a win-win situation. So that is the plan for now - I just need to stick to it.


10 comments:

Peg said...

Oh, my and I thought my scrap pile was big (well, it was until I, like you, decided to get a little organized about it). I ended up with 8 scrap quilts (really scrappy) that have finally been completed and will mostly go to Children's Hospital where a friend works on the cancer unit. Love those mini blocks!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen
I am sure you will get many beautiful quilts made out of your scraps! I love your little stars and baskets too! Love sis

audrey said...

That is a great idea. Hundreds of those amazing blocks would be brilliant. Think of the possibilities! Plus, it would be so much less tedious to do them a few at a time over the course of month.:)

Linda said...

Good for you for using your scraps up. I love scrap quilts too and with the cost of fabric going up so much, I'm keeping more of my scraps too. I used to give them to a friend of mine but she's got more than she needs so if I can't use it, it goes into a bin for doggie beds. I don't throw anything away anymore. Good luck with getting your scraps under control...that's the toughest thing to do.

laurajane said...

I think you are marvellous using the scraps to make those tiny blocks.,the stars and baskets are lovely.xx

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like the perfect plan! Of course, I am a very bad influence in this regard! LOL

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like an excellent plan! Isn't it amazing how those "little" scraps of fabric grow into a mountain? LOL!!!

Deb A said...

You have a wonderful plan and projects for your scraps. I love those baskets and stars. Scrappy versions would make a wonderful antique looking quilt.

Mary said...

Oh my! Those are tiny! Thanks for becoming a follower. I am now following you.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Love those tiny baskets and everything else you have got going there. Bless that pile of scraps to just keep giving and giving!