Sunday, March 24, 2013

Engineer's Wife


I do like most of the blocks that I made for this quilt but I was really ambiguous about the way they all looked together and was a little worried that I might end up with a quilt that my husband wouldn't like. This morning I spent some time working on some designs and I think I have come up with a setting that changes all of that. I showed a couple options to my husband and I am using the one that he likes the best. I haven't told him that this quilt will be for him so he will still be surprised. I had considered making more blocks to make the quilt bigger but after thinking about it I realized I just didn't want to go that route.



In this version, the border triangles are brown and they are not pieced but I may still tweak the design a bit. I won't make that decision until I see how it all looks in real life. I also have used just one block in the design for illustration purposes instead of putting in a bunch of different blocks even though my finished quilt will be a sampler - I figure one is enough to give the idea of how it will look. So far, I am very happy with the few blocks that I have made as a test.

6 comments:

audrey said...

Great setting. Sampler quilts sometimes need that little bit of extra to pull everything together. Yours looks like it will more than do the job.:)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Oh yes I do like what you are doing with your Engineers Wife Blocks! Very nice setting. It will look wonderful! Love sis

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the setting! What wonderful blocks, can't wait to see it all put together.

Cathy said...

I love it!! What a great setting for a sampler quilt. It frames all the blocks to make them stand out, and fives interest to the eye as well with the alternating lights and darks. Good job!

Crispy said...

Oh My I really love this setting!! I think in real life you will be happy with it too.

Crispy

Deb A said...

I LOVE your setting for this. It is going to be an awesome looking quilt. You have one lucky husband.