Sunday, March 17, 2013

Crossroads Block


I saw this Crossroads block pattern over at Deb's@ asimplelifequilts and I was inspired. I literally ran to my sewing room and started sewing these blocks together.

I had a good head start because I already had a lot of 2 x 3.5" brown bricks precut in my bins and all I had to do was cut some 3.5" squares from my neutral fabric. I quickly sewed 5 blocks together and then I was not too sure that I liked the neutral I had chosen. It seems to be a bit muddy looking to me.

So I chose another neutral and whipped up 6 more. I think I like the second neutral better - it is lighter and has a small floral beige print on it. This quilt will be going to my friend Evelyn and she wants a neutral and brown quilt and I think she will be happier with the lighter neutral as well. Previously, I have made a few other trial blocks trying to decide what to make and I think this is it. A tutorial for this block is available at Freemotion by the River and also Threadbias Blog.

Today we had our family celebration for Eric's birthday. For dinner I always make whatever is requested by the birthday person. Eric decided he wanted BBQ pork spareribs, Caesar salad, shrimp, garlic bread and french onion soup and for dessert he wanted a chocolate cheesecake. I very happily accommodated each request. I didn't think I was up to making the cheesecake so I bought one when I went grocery shopping yesterday.

I also had to make two more loaves of french bread to use for the garlic bread and I did that yesterday. By this morning one of the loaves had disappeared! I think I did a better job at making this batch - they weren't as curvy and they were delicious. My family is really enjoying this bread and they keep gobbling it up faster than I can make it!

I want to wish you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day and I leave you with a toast of Harp Lager (we have had just a few sips) and this Irish blessing -

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

5 comments:

Julierose said...

I like them both--how about a "night and day" quilt...Julierose

Sarah said...

Your bread looks so tasty! Love your brown blocks also.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Crossroads is a really nice block and Helen will love it when its done! Your bread looks amazing! You can almost taste how good it is just by looking at it. Love sis

Deb A said...

She is going to love her quilt. I like the light but the first set looks more antique to me... which is nice too.
That bread looks too perfect to eat. I think you need to start hiding some so you can enjoy it too!

Cathy said...

You could alternate the blocks and get a subtle 4 patch effect where the 4 neutrals meet