Sunday, February 24, 2013

Scraps From Scraps

Unruly scrap bits
I feel so virtuous - if only for a fleeting moment!  For those of you who read my blog regularly, you know that I have an overwhelming scrap problem. See this post if you are into seeing pictures of the evidence. This morning I cut out the britches portion from my purple 3.5" strips that I need for my Boy's Britches blocks. Please keep in mind that these 3.5" strips were leftover remnants from earlier projects (think scraps).

Tidy scraps and britches pieces
Once I finished cutting the required pieces, instead of just throwing the bits and pieces into my scrap bins, I cut them down right away. Virtuous huh? If I had a piece of the 3.5" wide purple fabric that was longer than 6" it went back into my strip bin. The rest of the scraps from these pieces as well as the leftover bits from the purple mini baskets and mini stars have been cut into pieces of varying sizes from 3.5" squares to teeny tiny triangles that will finish as .5" squares - I know, it's okay for you to call me crazy! There are still a few bits left that will go into my crumb bin and string bin.



The britches pieces are cut on an angle and the scraps created are an elongated (scalene) triangle. I have decided to leave them as they are and possibly turn them into kite shaped pieces to go into another quilt at a later time. I still have the pieces left from the pink britches that I made last month but they are not as uniform in size and shape. I will make a template later today and use that to cut the kite pieces into smaller equal sized bits. Scraps from scraps - how exciting... er...I need to get out more often!

5 comments:

Peg said...

So creative with the scraps! After sewing up bins of scraps a while back, and creating more scraps....I'm down to keeping anything that can be cut into no less than 2.5" strips or squares. Beyond that, I just can't work with such small pieces! Kudos to you, making it all work.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

The bits and pieces that you save and use are unbelieveable. I do not think that I would be able to even pick up such small pieces with my fat little fingers. You are amazing! Love sis

scraphappy said...

I'm not sure if it is disturbing or nice that scraps never end. As long as you are having fun with them though, it just doesn't matter. Enjoy!

audrey said...

I love how you manage to use all your bits and pieces! Very inspiring! It is really hard sometimes to throw out even the tiniest pieces of wonderful fabric.:)

Deb A said...

Wow! Such tiny pieces. See, you are getting organized. Little by little.