Wednesday, February 27, 2013

RSC 2013 - Purple Boy's Britches


I woke up early this morning - let's just say 3 am early and I started thinking about quilting and realized that I only had a couple days to make these blocks if I wanted to finish them in February. After having a cup of tea I headed into my sewing room and promptly stitched up a block. I already had all of the pieces cut out so I just needed to sew them up.

This is the first one I made. Isn't it a beauty? Just one problem...it is supposed to have two black corners and two white corners...darn!! And the worst part is I thought this block went together fairly well for me. Thank goodness the error was on the outer edges of the block and it was quite easy to correct. Maybe I should just stay in bed when I wake up so early!

These blocks really are very challenging for me to make and my seam ripper gets quite a workout.

Many of the seams are on weird angles and it can be a wee bit frustrating to align them properly. Admittedly, as I sew each block together I am getting better at it although I am pretty sure I will never be able to claim that they are perfect. I just hope I remember the sewing technique for these blocks when I make them again for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in the colour for March.


I also know that I could make things a lot easier for myself if I just split the white triangles into two sections. That would allow for 4 square sections to be joined together and it would allow me to sew straight seams but it would also give me extra seam lines that I don't want. If I always take the easy way out then I won't learn new skills either.

Don't they look pretty all together. Of course, the colours will be all spread out in the finished quilt and it will look like a rainbow of fun.

7 comments:

Deb A said...

Love the movement in this and how it looks like circles of color. Very pretty and great job with a challenging block. This is what l like about the midgets - forces me to do new things and get out of my comfort zone.

Cathy Tomm said...

They look so good together. Glad you got your purple done. I am finishing up a few 16 patches as I did not have enough done yet. I am ready for the next colour.

Cathy said...

They look fabulous!! And I like the secondary pattern they create, as well.

laurajane said...

Looking good. Looks a bit complicated for me.
Its going to be a beautiful quilt .xx

Manuela said...

The blocks look fantastic.

Greetings, Manuela

Sheila said...

Yes. They look so cute!!!!!
I have another purple block to make today and then I'm ready to play with some orange scraps : )

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love your britches blocks they really make a wonderful pattern! With all the other pretty colours added it will be gorgeous. I just cannot wait to see this one finished! Love sis