Sunday, January 13, 2013

Slow Stitching Sunday

I don't have any hand sewing to show today but I did get four Dear Jane blocks prepped and ready for hand-stitching. Now maybe I will be able to stay on track with completing one per week. It would be great if I could manage to do this with my Midget Blocks as well, but for whatever reason, I haven't been able to do any prep work on them.

This week I really wanted to load my yellow paisley Seven Sisters on the quilt frame to see if I can baste it in preparation for hand quilting. My back is a little better today, so I will try to make the backing and see how far I get with it. I will be sewing the backing together by hand and to prepare it I need to iron it and then draw my 1/4 seam line so I have something to follow when sewing. I am really itching to start quilting it. I love baptist fans and they turned out so nice on the green Seven Sisters quilt so I plan to do the same with this one.

I have seen on other blogs where the the quilt is layered, basted and then bound before hand quilting. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with that.

I am linking up with Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday. Why not drop by and see other hand work projects that have been worked on this week.

7 comments:

scraphappy said...

You are even hand stitching the backing together? I am impressed. I would think that basting and binding before quilting should work. It would certainly keep the edges from getting frayed. Way to go on getting so many Dear Jane blocks prepped. It does seem so much more efficient to get them ready in batches and then stitch as you can.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun post today...so many great things going on in Ellen's quilty room! I have no idea about putting the binding on first...it seems counterintuitive to me, as it's always the last step. You could be the tester for us and let us know how it works out?!?

Deb said...

I agree with Kathy - test it and let us know how it works! Love your quilt and doing prep work counts towards slowing it down for me - that way it is ready if you get a few minutes here and there.
Hope your back is on the mend soon.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I have a spool quilt I am hand piecing and wondered if I should do the everything including the binding by hand. If I don't I will probably regret it! Thanks for being an inspiration. I love baptist fans also, good even quilting for a quilt without stealing the show.

audrey said...

Congrats on getting some prep work ready and out of the way! Your 7 sisters quilt is lovely. I've always wanted to make one of those myself some day when I get brave.:)

Manuela said...

Your Seven Sister Top is wonderful.
Happy quilting.

Greetings Manuela

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Hope your back is much better today! The paisley fabric is so gorgeous. I do not know what it is about paisley but I am in love. Love sis