Saturday, January 5, 2013

RSC 2013 - Pink Boy's Britches



I've decided to make a quilt using this block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The block is called Boy's Britches and it is darn cute. The fabric I use for the britches will change with the colour for the month but my constants will be white and black. Hopefully it will end up looking something like this when it is all done.

Of course, my colours and fabrics will vary depending on what I have available in scraps and small pieces but if all goes according to plan I should have a pretty quilt when the year is done. I am very excited about this design.

Don't they look pretty in pink? If I have enough scraps available I will make seven blocks of each colour. These blocks will finish at 9".

I have to pay closer attention to the placement of the white/black corner squares.
This is a challenging block for me to sew - lots of seams on funky angles. I had to make the center black square from 4 triangles - I just couldn't figure out a way to sew the darn thing in one piece without using applique to add it to the top and I just didn't want to do that. I also could have made it a lot easier if I made the white triangles in two pieces instead of one. It would have made the 4 sections of the block into squares but I didn't want the extra seams. Overall, I am happy with the design of this block - it is definitely a skill-builder! I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge hosted by soscrappy.

20 comments:

scraphappy said...

Great looking block! Your EQ design looks fabulous. I am impressed that you chose such a challenging block but the ones you have finished turned out great.

Deb said...

Love your choice of a block! Your pink ones are so pretty. I had hand pieced the one I made. I think there were a few people that did paper piecing as an option.
Love how it looks like curves in the final quilt layout. It will be stunning come December.

make.share.give said...

These are really cute! Love the checkerboard four patch in the corners.

Sheila said...

Love this block! What a great quilt this will be! I look forward to watching it come together each month.

Peg said...

This is going to make a fantastic quilt! Just imagine I Spy fabrics for a little boy!

Janet said...

This block is so cool. I really like how it looks as a scrappy quilt. Love the pink and black together.

Terri said...

That's going to be a beautiful quilt. I love the secondary design it creates... that circle. You'd never guess it would show up from the single block. Good Job! and I think you've made some great fabric choices, too.
Hugs

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

It will be a gorgeous quilt when it is all finished.

katie z. said...

Your design looks fabulous, and by the end, you'll be a pro at peicing the blocks!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is a tough pattern - great for you in tackling it and it is going to be so pretty.

Angie said...

Cute idea - I love the secondary designs!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! That's a really cute block and will make an amazing quilt when you are done! Good choice!

Quilter Kathy said...

What an awesome choice! You really are up for a big challenge! You have great pink scraps!

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow what a great block to use. I love the black and white both used in the blocks.

Podunkpretties said...

Wonderful block! This is going to be gorgeous!

Lori said...

What a great quilt!! I'm looking forward to seeing more blocks.

Carrie P. said...

I just love those pink blocks.

Rose Marie said...

What a neat idea for the challenge and love the block!

Elly D said...

Such an unusual block. It is going to look fabulous when you're done. The bit of black with the pink makes it pop! Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Candace said...

Wow. Awesome blocks. Should be a stunner.