Thursday, January 31, 2013

More Engineer's Wife Blocks

Connecticut, Broken Window, Squares & Diamonds, Gentleman's Fancy, Domino Net, Smokehouse, Carrie Nation
Over the past couple days I have been working away at making more Engineer's Wife blocks and I have seven more blocks completed. One of the blocks, Gentleman's Fancy, which is the furthest to the right in the photo turned out larger than 6.5". Not too sure what happened but it is what it is. I am torn between remaking it and just leaving it and using it on the back of the quilt. Since I haven't decided how I am going to put the top together that decision can be left for now.

In the meantime, I will continue to make more blocks and if I have counted correctly, there should be 13 more. I have noticed that as the blocks have been released they seem to be getting progressively more detailed with smaller pieces. Each block is an individual and it is taking me a long time to make each one particularly because I am using only strips of blue, brown and neutral from my strip bins and not cutting from larger pieces of fabric. I think that next time I make a sampler quilt, in particular I am thinking about the Grandmother's Choice blocks I plan on making, that I will use larger scraps so that I don't have to be concerned whether I have enough fabric in the correct size strips to complete the chosen block. That really is what seems to be the most challenging part and it is taking the most time and effort. I am very happy with the way it all looks so far and I think I will have a wonderful quilt in the end.

3 comments:

audrey said...

Your blocks are looking wonderful! Too bad about the one that is slightly larger. I often have that trouble too!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your Engineers Wife Blocks. Your colour choices are wonderful. John will really love this quilt!

Love sis

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I thought it was just me...the comment about the piecing getting to be smaller and smaller. I had my "Farm Girl at Heart" blocks on the wall and the progression from the gi-normous piecing first block(basket weave) compared to where we are now is significant. And I love my blocks!! Closing in on finishing them though and that is a very nice feeling.