Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Midget Block #66- Twist & Turn


This applique block turned out so well. I had taken the partially completed block with me to sister's last Friday but I didn't find any time to work on it. When I showed the pieces to my sister she was surprised how small the block actually was. I had posted about my progress earlier and the photo I took made her think the block was much larger than it was.
Look - I'm only 5"
I guess it can be difficult to determine the actual size of the pieces without having something with them as a reference. The whole block will finish at 4.5". These little segments are only 2.75".

Glued and ready to be appliqued.
Even though the applique turned out fairly well, don't forget I am really very new to this process, I think I need to try another method. I made a template for the two applique pieces from heat resistant mylar and I used liquid starch as my glue. These pieces are very small and I burned my fingers a lot while trying to hold the edges down and pressing/drying them with the iron. I did use a mini iron and I did try to use something other than my fingers to hold the edges down but it just wouldn't work for me.

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

I am a huge fan of the glue basting with freezer paper on top as described on the fabric therapy blog. I have tried the Mylar as well, but it seems to work best with basted circles

Carrie P. said...

OOO! those are little blocks but you did a great job. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a very nice comment about my quilting.

Deb said...

I can't remember which way I did that one. I think I either ironed the freezer paper to the top and then needle turned under or just drew it and needle turned it. I think I did trim a bit to get it to turn better. Lots of seams on a tiny piece. Great job on this - it turned out great.