Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Improv Blocks


Several months ago, I offered to make a friend a quilt. When I asked her what colours she liked I got a lot of answers like well...that's not my favourite colour, or I don't like that colour at all, or I already have something that colour, etc. I was really feeling stumped and then she told me she would like a neutral and brown quilt but not really scrappy looking. Whaaat!!!! Hold your horses and put on the brakes...I have made several quilts in the past while that did have brown and neutral but they were very scrappy and they were not really neutral looking. What to do...what to do....I just couldn't seem to come up with anything that I could use my stash with. I don't really want to go out and buy fabric. I need to keep my costs down and really, I do have plenty of fabric already. So even though a couple months have passed, I couldn't start making her quilt because quite frankly I had no idea what to do.
Didn't I just clean this up?
Over the past week I kept pulling bits of fabric out of the stash and looking at different block patterns and still nothing. One evening, as I stood in front of my messy cutting area where I have lots of fabric hanging around that I am using for my Engineer's Wife blocks -  remember they use blue and brown fabrics - I got an idea and I just started cutting and sewing. I seem to have started an improv quilt. I don't have a pattern or sizes or anything planned so we will see where it goes and how it looks. It just may all end up in the orphan block bins. I don't even know if it is a style that she will like. For now, I will keep going with it and see what happens.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I love what you have going on there, especially the one on the left. I think that one, done in different browns, but the same background would look spectacular.

audrey said...

Good luck! Some of the best quilts come from exactly that kind of start.:)

Deb said...

Very neat. The one in the middle and right are very modern. The one on the left is so neat. Any or all would make a wonderful quilt.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Wow! The one on the left is exciting to look at! The one in the middle very cool, modern but subtle. I like the third block too, to me it adds a touch of tradition. I think they will look great together. Love sis

Elly D said...

I love your improv blocks! The one in the middle would make a lovely wall art quilt. Good luck with what you're doing.