Thursday, January 24, 2013

Dear Jane - Batchelor Buttons (B-1)

This is a very simple looking block and it didn't take me too much time to complete. I had done the prep work for it a couple weeks ago and I used the 'freezer paper on top - glue to the underside' method to create the circles. They are not perfectly round but I am very happy with the way they turned out. My applique is getting so much better every time I do it. Practice has not made perfect but it sure is helping me improve.



I cut my background fabric 6" and folded it into quarters and creased my center lines. I took another freezer paper template of the background with the holes cut out and centered it and ironed it to the top of the background fabric. Once it was in place, I just glued my applique circles into position and then carefully removed the template.


Circles positioned and ready for applique.
I used a neutral silk thread to sew down the applique and I love it! I cannot see any stitches at all. I finished this block last night and with a simple trimming to size it was all done.


I have taken a picture of my completed row of A blocks. I think it looks pretty good!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oooh your Dear Jane blocks look wonderful! Very happy your feeling good about your applique progress! Love sis

Manuela said...

The Row A ist wonderful.

Greetings, Manuela

Deb said...

Great job! Your buttons look great. Wonderful first row.

scraphappy said...

An entire row!! Congratulations. I love your Bachelor Buttons block. Applique is so relaxing after all the preparation is done.

Cathy Smith said...

Love your blocks. I took a class (read retreat) with Brenda and that's when I first learned about reverse applique. I am still not that great at it but on this particular block, that's how I did it. You're doing a great job!!

Kelli said...

I love watching your "Janes" add up, Ellen! :) xo