Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Midget Block #65 - Pride of the Prairie

This little block gave me a run for my money! It is hand pieced and the center is hand appliqued using silk thread. I am still a beginner at hand applique but I think using silk thread is divine. It really does help to make the stitches appear almost invisible.

I used the supplied pattern to draw out my block parts and I cut them out easily enough, apparently so easily that I cut out a lot of extra pieces - what is it with me? When I went to sew them together I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get them to join as shown in the picture.

Sure enough, when I traced the pieces I should have placed them face down but I didn't. So my block spins in the reverse direction. My quilt is definitely going to be unique to me!!
Neat and tidy back - not perfectly aligned but good enough!

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

Silk thread really is divine for hand appliqué. My block spins in the same direction as yours,though I chose to alternate the colors. I am sure all of the midget quilts will be unique based on who made them. All part of the fun! Merry Christmas.

Deb said...

Beautiful block! I look forward to using some silk thread - I bought a light and dark for my orange peels next year. Merry Christmas.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your little Pride of the Prairie Block! Your choice of fabric will have this little block popping off your finished quilt! Really pretty! Love sis