Thursday, December 20, 2012

Making Christmas Gifts

I wanted to make something to give to my Mom and sisters and a friend for Christmas but I had left it a bit long. Seems that I do that every year and then I have a few crunch sessions and I manage to come up with something. This year I decided to make hot pads for everyone.

On Saturday, I was looking around in my sewing room and I spotted a bin of 2.5" hsts that I had made as leaders/enders a long time ago. I don't remember if I had a plan for them at one time but since they were just hanging around I figured I could use them. I had some insulated batting that I had purchased a couple years ago and I used a layer of it and a layer of regular batting so they should work well at keeping the heat away.


Had to do some stitch ripping!
 

I decided to set them two ways and I made 8 of each block. As you can see, I did not escape the gremlins that seem to turn units around when I am not looking. Once I made the blocks I needed to figure out what I was going to use to back them with. I thought they needed a bit of sparkle so I added the orange dotty fabric to the front as a border and also used it to back them.

They finish at 7".
I added a pocket to the back so that you can slide your hand into it and it will help to grip the hot pad. I used a fabric that tied the orange and red together and used it for binding as well. I finished up stitching the binding to the back today after a marathon binding session yesterday. I hand sewed over 420" of binding yesterday and I just could not finish the last hot pad. I just finished it up this morning and my index finger and thumb are feeling the pain! All in all, I think they turned out fairly well. I hope they will like them!

Since I spent so much time on the binding yesterday I wasn't able to get much else done. Today, I don't think I will have time for sewing because I have to get some much needed chores done - the dirty dishes are overtaking the kitchen and I also have to do a bit of shopping and I DO NOT like shopping - unless it's fabric shopping of course!!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love them!I can really use some pot holder pads! They look so lovely I cannot wait to see and use them. Hope your finger is feeling better. Love sis

scraphappy said...

Great gift idea. Tis the season for crafting.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a GREAT idea! A fabulous gift!

Deb said...

Great idea. Love the pocket in the back, you are very cleaver. Hope the finger feels better soon.