Monday, December 17, 2012

From Our Home to Yours

Please ignore the bags in the corner - oops!
Yesterday I spent a relaxing evening in front of the tv while finishing off the binding and sewing in the thread tails. It was a great way to spend the evening particularly after spending the day machine quilting. I can't think of a better, more satisfying way to spend an evening.

This quilt was quilted in a meander design and finished at 73" x 81". I love the backing I used - it is a toile and is rustic and homey looking with pictures of a man fishing and ladies being courted and so on. Perfect for a log cabin quilt and the whole quilt is gorgeous if I don't say so myself!! My photography skills are poor at best and today they are not any better than usual.
Backing fabric
Over the past six years my husband has faced some health challenges and at times he has been physically incapable of doing work around our home. Two instances that come to mind are when our chimney liner for our fireplace needed to be replaced and when part of our fence blew down.

We did not know the chimney had broken until some man, who was driving around the neighborhood and using binoculars, was looking at everyone's chimney from the road. He knocked on the door and told me about it. Of course, he was happy to fix it for us for an incredibly large sum of money, and of course, he had everything with him to make the repair. I asked him to return later after I had an opportunity to speak to my husband about it. While my husband was standing on the road using binoculars to see the damage, our neighbour Stan was driving by. He stopped and asked what was going on. My husband explained the situation to him and knowing that my husband was not well, Stan offered to make the repair for us. All we needed to do was buy the materials. He chipped out the old liner and installed the new one and he did it quickly - within a week or so.

During that time, my husband had our fence propped up waiting for a time when he could make the much needed repairs to it. Stan also offered to repair it and replace any boards and posts that were damaged or broken. All we had to do was supply the materials. He worked on it almost every day after work for a couple weeks and now our fence looks so much better - thanks to Stan.

How do you thank someone for taking the time to do this work for us? He did not do it for money - he did it because we needed help. As a quilter, I thought the best way to thank him and his wife Jillian was to make them a quilt. So, they will be receiving this log cabin quilt and I have named it 'From Our Home to Yours'. I hope they will enjoy using it for many years to come and I also hope that every time they use it they will be reminded about what good and generous neighbours they are!

I am linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy's Quilts. Hop on over to see more slow stitching projects!

9 comments:

LuAnn said...

God Bless Stan for being such a wonderful, caring neighbor and friend. I know whenever he wraps up in this quilt he will feel the love you have sewn into it. What a beautiful gift!

Peg said...

What a blessing to have neighbors and friends like that! Isn't it wonderful how God takes care of the details of our lives! A quilt is a perfect thank-you, and will surely be more than appreciated!

audrey said...

Some people are just good all the way through! Congrats on finishing a wonderful quilt!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

How blessed you are to have such a caring neighbor.

That log cabin is beautiful (it's my favorite quilt pattern) ... it will make a perfect thank-you gift.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the quilt, but I love the story of Stan even more! Renews my faith in the human race! Can't think of a more deserving person to receive this beautiful quilt!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching and sharing about Stan's quilt!

Deb said...

What a wonderful neighbor you have. I'm sure they will enjoy their wonderful quilt. Love the name and it came out great.

scraphappy said...

What a lovely story. It is good to know that there are still good hearted people out there lending a hand to one another.

Rose Marie said...

A beautiful quilt for a wonderful neighbour!

Terri said...

Sounds like the perfect gift. Sounds like a lovely neighborhood. Both couples are nice people.
Hugs