Sunday, December 16, 2012

Earthtones - Quilting Marathon!

I made the backing for Earthtones yesterday and I have to tell you it is one huge quilt. It was approx 80 x 96? (I can't remember how long it was) and required two full widths of fabric to make the backing and it was just barely wide enough. I got it all loaded on the quilt frame last night and it was pretty close to the maximum width that I can quilt on the frame - I only had a few inches to spare. I oiled the machine, changed the needle and filled the available empty bobbins as well so that all I had to do was to start quilting. The problem was that I only had 5 empty bobbins so I knew I would have to wind some mid-quilting and I really don't like doing that. Tomorrow, I will go to my LQS to buy more bobbins - an early Christmas present to myself!


The quilting is all done and I have taken it off the frame and I am very tired. I didn't have too many difficulties quilting other than I got a burr on my needle and it took me little while to figure that out so I had to change it again. I must remember whenever I have problems to check the needle and not just assume that it is a thread/tension/bobbin problem. It took me a good part of the day to finish quilting Earthtones and my shoulders feel like they are part of my ears. I am ready for relaxation - my husband made me a gin & tonic and we are having butter chicken for dinner that I had made previously and froze - no cooking for me tonight. I am going to curl up on the couch and work on binding the log cabin quilt and just watch tv. I had planned on finishing the binding last night but didn't even touch it - just as well, as I need something stress free to work on.

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

I have had that ears attached to shoulders syndrome myself, sometimes along with fingernail marks imprinted into hands from gripping the machine too tightly. It is so hard to remember to stay relaxed. The quilting looks great though. Glad you were able to finish it off. Enjoy your binding time.

Quilter Kathy said...

You did great to finish all that quilting! Enjoy your relaxing binding!

Peg said...

What a beautiful quilt! I know what you mean about the shoulders - that G&T was surely a real blessing!