Monday, December 24, 2012

Earthtones is Finished

I am very happy with the way this quilt has turned out. It did take quite a bit of work to construct because there are many, many small pieces in it, a total of 4800, but I think it was well worth the effort. I finished hand stitching the binding to the back yesterday, but I noticed that I had a tiny little birds nest of threads on the back so I picked it out and today I quilted over the area that needed to be removed and I also sewed in the thread tails. I quilted it in a meander design with a yellow/gold thread. It finished at 82" x 96" and is bound with the same fabric that I used for the backing. It was a couple inches wider than I thought!

When I showed the finished quilt to my husband his first comment was that the colours are perfect for the recipients. This quilt will be going to dear family friends Loretta and Taber. Loretta is really part of the family because she was a daughter of the heart to my mother-in-law. Loretta's family (her mother was my mother-in-law's best friend) and my husband's family have been friends going back to just after WWII more than 65 years - quite astounding!

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Ellen, it is simply gorgeous!!! I'm sure they will love it. This pattern is close to the top of my want to do list.

Cheryl said...

Wow Ellen

This quilt is so beautiful! I think the colours are just perfect too! Merry Christmas! Love sis

Josie said...

Ellen.... your quilt is gorgeous. So many pieces too... a real labour of love. Loretta and Taber are going to be so thrilled to receive it.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas...

Manuela said...

Dear Ellen,

the quilt is wonderful.
Merry Christmas to you an your family.

Liebe Grüße
Manuela

scraphappy said...

Beautiful quilt. Congratulations on the finish. The colors are perfect, they all blend together but still show off the pattern.