Thursday, November 29, 2012

I've Been Quilting!

I still need to tuck in the threads and make the binding.
It seems so long since I have spent any time actually quilting and I am feeling so good about making some headway! I finally got around to making the backing for my teal crumb quilt - it is a Project Linus donation quilt - and I loaded it on the frame and just got to it. I was really rusty at first but by the time I got to the bottom of the quilt I was feeling much more comfortable with the rhythm of the movements. I quilted it in a loopy-loop pattern and it looks like it is going to be a wonderful quilt for an older child. One thing I did change is my thread from 100% cotton Aurofil to 100% polyester So Fine. It has made a huge difference in my quilting experience because I was having so much difficulty with the Aurofil thread breaking. There were a couple instances where the So Fine did break but in general it behaved much better for me. I am quite pleased with the results.

Next to go on the quilt frame is my green/red log cabin quilt. I plan to finish making the backing today and then I will load it up. I made a silly mistake while making the backing yesterday and it ended up being the same length as the quilt top - oops. I will just sew a strip onto the bottom that is a couple inches long and just move forward from there.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Beautiful job. I just love the teal on that quilt.
Sounds like you are getting some relaxing sewing time in this week. Hugs.

scraphappy said...

The quilting is beautiful. I have had good luck with the Connecting Threads polyester thread. The polyester does seem to break less than the cotton.

Jeannie said...

Hi Ellen:
I am with you on the So Fine thread, I looove it! Aurofil is fantastic for piecing though. Haven't seen you for awhile. It sounds like alot has been going on in your life.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your little teal crumb quilt! Lucky child who receives it as I know it is filled with good thoughts and love. Molly looks so small and cut lounging on your red and green log cabin. Love sis