Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dog Coats

I really want to create something but I have a lot of sadness in my heart at this time and I don't want it to spill into any of my quilts. I decided it would be a good time to make some coats for my pups. The weather has been getting cold and Molly and Peanut do need some protection from the elements. I have noticed that Peanut is really affected by the weather much more than Molly - she is just so tiny. So I looked around in the pet store for some warm coats and found that the prices were just too much for me. Even on sale the nice warm dog coats were $25 each. I had been thinking about making some but just hadn't gotten around to it until I saw what my sister Glenda was making. My Mom, sister Cheryl and her daughter Deanna and I spent the day on Friday visiting with Glenda and we had a wonderful time. Glenda is the sister that gave me Peanut and she has kept two of Peanut's siblings for herself. She showed me that she is turning cute fabric placemats into coats for her pups. How clever is that??!! She has definitely inspired me to get sewing for Molly & Peanut.

I made the first coat for Molly last night. It turned out a bit too small but it gave me an idea of how I needed to proceed. I think that it will be okay for Molly for the time being and maybe one day it will become Peanut's.

I measured the dogs and made up a pattern for each of them from newspaper. I just sort of made it all up as I went along and if it wasn't accurate I really wasn't too concerned.
Folded in half

Looks yellow but it is orange!
Exterior




Interior
I knew that I wanted the coats to be windproof and waterproof. I had an old vinyl tablecloth that I thought would work so I incorporated that as one of the layers as well as some batting and some flannel. The outer layer is just regular cotton but the layer under that is the vinyl, next is the batting and on the underside is the flannel and I used velcro for the closures. I think these will work great to keep my pups warm and dry. I am going to make them at least one more but I will adjust Molly's pattern first to give it a longer back. I plan to also make them some lined raincoats from the vinyl - nice bright orange!


My girls - Molly & Peanut

My dear Aunt Mary, Aunt Isobel and Marge - my dearest friend's mother - may you all rest in peace. You will remain in our hearts and thoughts forever and will never be forgotten.

9 comments:

Grit said...

Oh super!!! So süß.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Jo said...

Better than any store bought coat. Is Peanut a Maltese? I have a Maltese...they are so sweet!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love your little jackets for Molly and Peanut! They do look wonderful in paisley! Hope you will be able to get back to your quilting soon! Love sis

Kelli said...

Those are adorable Ellen! And they look so cute on. Can't wait to see them in their orange rain coats, too. I hope the sadness in your heart subsides soon. Hugs and prayers. xo

laurajane said...

Love the little coats,they look gorgeous on.Given me the idea for my own pup.
Hugs xx

Quilter Kathy said...

So sorry to hear that you are having a sad time. I hope your DH is doing better. You need more snuggle time with your furry girls...they are adorable and will cheer you up for sure with their sweet little faces and adorable outfits.

Jan Maree said...

I have been absent too long - cute dog coats but sorry to hear that your hubby has been ill. Hope all is back to normal soon. Hugs, Jan-Maree

Deb said...

So sorry for your loss. I hope the puppies keep you entertained and brighten your day. Love their coats and they will love them in the winter! Hope your hubby is continuing to recover and you find some peace in your sewing.

Judiquilts said...

Ellen - thinking of you. I love those little dog coats and don't they look so cute in them! Regards,