Wednesday, October 17, 2012

99K - Thrift Store Find!




Last Friday, I took my Mom, my sister Cheryl and her daughter Deanna to visit my sister Glenda.We had a great time together and visited a few second hand stores, a fabric shop and just enjoyed being together.

I picked up this little number for the mere sum of 12 bucks. Silly me, I walked right passed it without noticing it but my wonderful eagle eyed sister Glenda saw it and now it is mine! I think she is a beauty..she was born in 1955...and she looks great for her age. It does say that there is a problem with the 'electrics' and that it should only be used for display but I thought for $12 I would buy it and take my chances. Once I got it home, I checked it over a bit a saw that the electrical cord does have a lot of tape on it. I looked in the base in hopes that maybe there were some attachments with it but no luck. I think it was stored very well and used frequently, there is no odour from the case and the machine does run and sounds great. I have not actually sewn anything on it yet but I don't really expect any problems. My husband looked it over and said the cords are cracked  but that he would rewire it for me ..... when he gets time. It can be very handy to have an electrical engineer in the house! It could be a little while before he gets it done though because the basement renovation is still in progress and he is still in recovery mode and not up to full speed yet. I am anxious to try her out but he doesn't want me to use it until he knows it is safe.


One of the second hand stores we visited was having a toonie sale and I was able to pick up several men's cotton shirts for only $2 each. These shirts will eventually go into a quilt that I have been thinking about for quite some time.

4 comments:

Deb said...

She is a beauty!

Peg said...

Wow, and I thought my finds were great! Isn't she lovely! And those shirts - apparently a plaid quilt, will be wonderful!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great find. She sure is cute. I got a machine in Aug for $30. and cords need to be replaced too.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Oh she does look nice! I hope she sews as smooth as butter! I cannot wait to see the quilt you make with the shirts! Love sis