Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Am Extremely Happy!!



I am so happy that I could almost burst (oops...it could also be that I had a really yummy dinner)! I have finished the quilting on my first Seven Sisters quilt. I finished quilting just before supper and I have just finished taking out the basting threads. This is the third quilt that I have hand quilted and I can see how much I have improved. I do still have a long way to go...I did have issues as I went along, but maybe they had more to do with the fact that I kept changing how I was quilting it. If I had just stuck with using the hoop throughout I may not have had as many problems. The back is not as smooth as it should probably be but I think once it gets washed it will just add to it's charm.

I really like the fabric that I used for the backing. It has a light background with tiny pink and green splatters all over it. Now, the next thing I need to do is to trim it up and then sew the binding on. I already have the binding made so that is not a problem but I am really nervous about trimming it. I am so afraid that I will mess it up and after all of the work I put into it I am afraid that I will make a cutting error or something silly like that.

Check out Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching to see more posts from quilters that are working on handwork projects.

9 comments:

scraphappy said...

Wow! Congratulations. What a great finish. I am sure the binding will go on with no problem.

Kelli said...

That is amazing! Love the backing fabric, too. Great job Ellen. It always feels like such an accomplishment to finish hand quilting a big quilt! Hope you had a great weekend. :)
xo

Deb said...

Absolutely Amazing! I love it. Think your parents would adopt me so I could be a sister?

laurajane said...

Fabulous xx

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh Ellen I am so happy for you! I am clapping...can you hear it?!?
What a great accomplishment!
I find that the more I love a quilt, the more nervous I am in the final steps :)
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching and sharing your great news with us!

Peg said...

Beautiful quilt! And wonderful piecing and quilting. I agree, the trimming can be stressful, especially on those big pieces, but I'm sure you'll do great! The hard part is all done!

Anonymous said...

Ellen ..

the quilt is absolutely beautiful!! ...what patience and dedication one has to have to do this.... "My Sister" I think you are an icon just as Aunt Iris is, just a little earlier in life..

Anonymous said...

Hi again Ellen ... I forgot to sign my name on previous comment.... xo Glenda

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Congratulations! This quilt looks amazing! I love the blocks with each star representing a sister! Isn't it funny that you are the center star in the quilt surrounded by your sisters! Love Sis