Sunday, September 16, 2012

Almost Finished Quilting

I am so close to finishing the quilting on this quilt. I just need to finish the row I am working on and then there is one row of partial baptist fans left to do. My goal is to work on it each evening this week and I should have it all done and ready for binding. This quilt is one of a series of 7 Seven Sisters quilts that I am making completely by hand for my 6 sisters and myself. It is definitely a long term project and a labour of love. This one is the first to be quilted and I have one top ready for basting and another 2 tops underway - one of which just needs the sashing and borders cut and sewn on.

Kathy is hosting a Slow Sunday Stitching link up each week and I have been meaning to post frequently but somehow it doesn't always work out. Today she asked about the hoops that we are using. This quilt has been my test subject and I have tried quilting with a hoop, without a hoop and with a quilting frame. Each time I have tried something that I think would make it easier for me it just doesn't seem to be and I end up back to the hoop. I received this hoop from my Aunt Iris a couple of years ago. She was downsizing to move into a smaller residence and she gave me this hoop. I really do like it because it is a bit smaller and fits my body size a bit better than the larger hoops. This hoop will definitely become well used by me over time because I have so many plans and ideas for quilts that I want to hand quilt. Now that summer is nearly over it will certainly be a lot more comfortable to sit with a quilt in my lap for hand quilting - it is just so hot to do it in the summer!

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I love this post Ellen! I am so happy to see you are working on your baptist fans. I definitely want to try those by hand some day. You lap hoop looks to be about the same size as the one I have on a stand, but yours is more portable. We keep trying to find the equipment that makes it most comfortable and it's great to see what other people are using.
Thanks for linking up!

Linda said...

Your quilting looks amazing. And what a wonderful endeavor. I have just never been able to get the hand stitching process in my brain. And I so admire those of you who do such a great job.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wow seven seven sisters! Love to see hand quilters are still alive. What a great idea to make a quilt for you and your siblings! I am quilting a bowtie quilt right now with baptist fans, just love stitching them.

Linda said...

Love your handquilting and love your quilting story.

scraphappy said...

What a great project! Such an appropriate quilt to make for your sisters. Enjoy the hand quilting on this one, it looks just perfect on this traditional quilt pattern.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I just love the look of the baptist fan quilting! Congratulations on your first finish! Love sis

Deb said...

I just love these quilts for your sisters. The quilting on it looks wonderful.... in about 20 years maybe I'll be at that point with nice quilting! Hugs and I hope your hubby is coming home soon if he is not there yet.