Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tiny Tuesday - Midget Block 59 - Chrysanthemum

I am really happy with the way this block turned out although it really was quite the challenge to get it finished. I am always surprised by how much fabric I use, and waste, when I am paper-piecing. I used fabric from my 1.5" strip bins to make this block. As usual, it took me a little while to decide which fabrics I wanted to use. Because I was using strips from my bins I needed make sure I had enough of the ones I wanted to use. Well, I started making this block at 3:15 am on a night when I absolutely could not fall asleep. I was really tired but the sleep thing wouldn't happen and I thought I would just go sew for a while.
After choosing my fabric, I used coloured pencils to mark the paper piecing pattern to remind me which colour I wanted to use in each location. I have been known to get that a little confused while sewing the segments! Once I did that, I thought I would have smooth sailing with putting this block together until I ran out of the fabric with the light background. I couldn't believe it - I searched every single scrap bin and I could not find any. All I needed was a small piece! Remember, this is in the wee hours of the morning.....I was tired and getting very grumpy. I was really getting desperate to find a small piece so that I could finish the block and after looking for a  v.e.r.y.  long time I found another piece....in the 1.5" bin. I couldn't believe it because I only looked in the bin in desperation. I thought I had already taken out all of the strips from that bin. Hand slap on forehead. Anyway, I got the block finished and I think it turned out pretty darn good. This block is called Chrysanthemum.

2 comments:

scraphappy said...

Super cute block. Somehow all problems seem bigger in the wee hours of the morning. Glad you got it all figured out.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your little midget block! So glad you found another little piece. Love sis