Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Steady Progress

Last batch of blocks all done!
I am making slow but steady progress on my Earthtones quilt top. Yesterday, I got the last batch of blocks sewn together...whoohoo! I thought I would leave it there for the day but last night I sat back down at my sewing table and started pinning them into pairs. Once I used up all of my pins I sewed the sets together and pressed the seams. I didn't count how many blocks I sewed together but I think I am about half way done. I like to join my blocks together into squares/rectangles instead of long rows. I just find it easier to handle that way and I have very few really long seams to sew together.

Yesterday morning started out in the garden with my husband. It did feel really good to be out there working together. I have a picture in my mind of our future retirement spending time together hanging out and working together instead of both of us always running in two different directions. We did get quite a bit of weeding done and my husband got most of the suckers removed from the tomato plants. I picked some beets, zucchini and our first few beans. We had zucchini, the beet greens and the green beans for supper. I want to try to pickle some of the beets, I really like to add them to salads but I can't seem to locate the book that we use for canning. Ever since my husband started renovating the basement everything has been topsy turvy here. We have stuff from the basement all over the house and other stuff had be shifted to accommodate. I do have to get some chores done around the house today mainly vacuuming and washing floors and there will be time for sewing too. We have someone coming to repair the lock on our patio door (it's still under warranty so it is a job that my husband does not have to take care of!) so I better make sure that it is clean too. I just might spend some time looking for the book as well. I know it is in a box somewhere!

7 comments:

laurajane said...

The veggies look good.
The quilt is comming along very nicely.
Laura x

vtquilter said...

Sounds like a yummy dinner! I love beets and picked the last of them from my garden a couple of weeks ago. I like the idea of joining blocks together rather than long rows of seams. I may have to try that on my next one.

Deborah said...

Your quilt s beautiful! I would love fresh zucchini to make bread!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Just love this quilt...it sparkles!

Jan-Maree said...

The quilt is looking great. The garden sounds like it is coming along nicely and your future plans for your retirement sound just about perfect!

LuAnn said...

I remember how much I loved this quilt when you blogged about it before. I still think it is great, and I am so tempted to get into my scrap bins and make a few blocks. Is this your pattern?

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Earthtones looks wonderful! Looking forward to seeing it in person. Those garden veggies look delish.

Love sis