Friday, July 20, 2012

I Was Going to Sew...Really I Was

Last night I made a list of all the sewing projects I was going to work on this weekend. First up on the list was to work on my Little Houses. I did get 22 little houses in production but I was feeling a little tired so I closed up shop for the night. I was going to finish them this morning until this happened....my husband opened a kitchen cupboard and some panko crumbs came showering down...not a good thing. They had been stored in the cupboard in an unopened foil bag.

A couple days ago we had a mouse that was quickly dispatched from the house and everything was cleaned and sanitized. Well, it appears it had some friends...notice the plural. We had set some traps just in case and there was one in it this morning but I also heard one in the cupboard. My son tried to get it but unfortunately it got away! Now my kitchen is torn apart again but I am hesitant to clean and sanitize and put stuff away until the other little bugger is caught. I feel like I need to stand on guard to protect my territory from the enemy! Thankfully, I had been on a mission lately to get everything stored in glass jars so most of our dry goods are secure. Our air conditioner has been on the fritz lately so we have been keeping the patio door open in the evenings to help cool the house. After the cupboard incident this morning, my husband noticed that there is a small hole at the base of the screen door and that must be how they got in. I can assure you that he will be fixing that as soon as he gets home from work tonight. Anyone have a cat I can borrow?

On a happier note - we have cherry tomatoes, not many yet but they have started to ripen. These are the first tomatoes of the year and they were picked on Wednesday. There is nothing like tomatoes that are freshly picked from the garden!

8 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I agree about the tomatoes...can't wait for mine to ripen!
It's a bad time of year for the mice...they seem to be able to get through the tiniest cracks.
We are having a FNSI part 2 tonight...you should sew along with us!

Cathy said...

I HATE MEESES TO PIECES!!! We get them in the house, as well, and it is always so very very gross.They run and poop at the same time, or so it seems. I opened our pots and pans cupboard one time, and found that they had been in the actual pots, doing their business. May I take the opportunity now to say eeeeeuuuuuwwww!! I can really sympathize with you. What a way to ruin a day planned to be filled with lots of fun sewing.

vtquilter said...

Oh no! We had mice in my hubby's car lately and finally caught 3 in the trap. He has one in there still set but we thankfully have not caught one in a couple of weeks. How the heck they got in the car I'll never know. I hope your mouse gets caught soon and the screens are all fixed tonight. I think I need to pull out my yarn and make some dish cloths - thanks for the inspiration.

Kelli said...

Eek! Hope you catch that mouse.. mice are just the worst. Can't wait to see your houses.. it's been too long since I've had time to blog read. You are right about those tomatoes.. there is nothing tastier than fresh ones off the vine in the summer!!

Jan-Maree said...

Oh dear! Mice! Not fun! Hope catch those little critters! Good luck!

Cheryl said...

Your tomatoes look just too good! Nothing like nice home grown tomatoes! Store bought have no taste at all! Hope you catch those nasty little mice. Its so much work to have to clean up after those little critters! I know mice like energy bars and celery with peanut butter! Try some of these items in a trap, they just may come a running!

Love sis

scraphappy said...

Hope you catch those mice-- thinking of them crawling around the cupboards is no fun at all. Hopefully they will be gone soon and you can give everything a good scrub. Then you can get back to sewing again which is so much more fun than cleaning.

greelyrita said...

You don't just need to borrow a cat.