Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dear Jane - Which Points West? (A-10)

Not perfect but it is done!
I started working on this block last week but only got as far as making silly mistakes so I put it away until today. I did change the design of the block a little bit to make it easier to piece. I think it was a bit of a mistake because it did change the final look of the block. I think it would have been better to keep the strong diagonal lines in the corners. But, in the grand scheme of things it really won't make a difference when all of the blocks are sewn together.  I did try something new today and that was sewing the applique down with silk thread. It does have a different feel to it and I do think that my stitches are less noticeable, but that could also be due to the fact that the thread is #100 - very fine.

Prepping the pieces.
I changed the block components.
I still need lots of practice with my applique skills but I have to admit that I really enjoy hand appliqueing. I think that one day, in the future, I just might make one of those gorgeous applique quilts that I see on other blogs.

Glued and ready to applique.

Last week, after I kept making cutting errors and measuring errors I decided that it was probably best to leave it all alone for a couple days. I don't want to make any quilts when I am feeling frustration - I think it shows up in the finished quilt.
Last week's mistakes - I measured wrong or used the wrong fabric!
I am linking up to Kathy's Quilts for her new weekly link up 'Hand stitching on Sunday'. It is a great way to showcase all of our handwork.




4 comments:

dianehobbit said...

I have bought YLI silk thread to use in applique, but never used it. I must have a go!

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for linking up to the hand stitching post!
An adorable block! I really like silk thread.

scraphappy said...

I too bought an assortment of silk thread to try out for applique. I'll have to give it a go. Great work on your little block, I agree that the direction of the seams will not be noticeable in the final quilt.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love your little block. I am so glad your thinking of doing more applique. I really love the look of applique. Love sis