Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Stringy Day - Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Yesterday was the last Saturday for blue scraps and I made 6 more string blocks. I had pulled out as many blue strings as I could from the bin and started to sew them onto the 8.5" foundation papers. It really was slim pickins'. I couldn't understand why I had so few blue strings in the bin. I made as many blocks as I could from the strings without repeating the fabrics within each block. As I finished up the last block my thoughts were on making a new blue quilt because I need a lot more blue string blocks for the quilt I will be making.

I was out of blue strings but I still wanted to work on something, so I decided to make some 3.5" red crumb blocks. I have some red strings that were the leftover remnants from fabric that my sister, Cheryl, cut for me with her Go Studio dies. I wanted crumb blocks so I just cut off small pieces and started sewing them together. Because the strings were quite straight, I didn't need to use any foundation papers for the blocks. If my plan for my latest quilt design works, then these little crumb squares will become the centers for Ohio Star blocks. I still need to make 18 more and I am hoping for more time today to play in my sewing room.

I knew that these red strings were in a bin all by themselves, so when I went to get them I had a pleasant surprise. Look what I found - I must have been separating the blue strings from the rest in preparation for the blue string blocks and forgot that I had done that - whew - I am glad I have more.

Hop on over to soscrappy's to check out what other participants made with their blue scraps this week.

11 comments:

laurajane said...

All those blues,gorgeous.
Laura x

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

LOL....the end of your post about contemplating starting a new quilt just to have more strings had me chuckling!
And the middle of your post about still wanting to work on something...so why not pull out some red strings had me shaking my head, saying..."yup! Only in the mind of a quilter!"

Gotta love quilty blog land :)

scraphappy said...

Those red blocks are going to look great as star centers. I can picture it already. It is so good to be able to just sew and sew when the mood strikes. Now you will have plenty of blue strings for the next time the mood strikes -- so silly of them to hide.

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for the smile today! I love that...being very organized and putting something in a special place, then forgetting I did that ....then finding it a long time later when I don't need it! LOL

Cathy Tomm said...

More great blue sting blocks. I love the little red crumb blocks.

Edith said...

Just love the colours in your post, blues and reds so perky. Sounds like you are having fun (and being very productive).

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a relief to know that you are not out of blue strings! nice scrappy blocks!

Jan-Maree said...

glad you found the rest of your scraps. Loving those red blocks - such good rich colour!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the blue strings! The red string blocks will look amazing as the center blocks for Ohio Stars! Love sis

vtquilter said...

Too funny! Love the red for the middle of the Ohio Stars. Great idea. So glad those blue strings appeared for you... don't you just hate it when they hide on you?

Elly D said...

Isn't it amazing what we find when looking for something else, lol.
Your string and crumb blocks look wonderful Ellen :) I'm thinking maybe next year, along with several other blocks, I may do some crumb blocks.
Elly