Saturday, June 23, 2012

Project Linus - Purple Pinwheels


Something got finished yesterday and it looks great and it feels so good to having something done! This quilt turned out so cute - I am very happy with it. I used a sweet little polka dot fabric for the backing and I bound it with the same solid purple that I used for the inner border. I had intended on quilting it using a a free hand flower design but for some reason it just would not happen for me. I tried a couple flowers but they were very sloppy looking so I unstitched them and then did a practice piece. I tried another full row on the quilt but ended up picking them all out - I need a lot more practice. I don't need perfection particularly if the quilt is staying with me, but this little quilt is a donation quilt and I want it to be the best that I can make it. So, I ended up doing loopy-loops and I think they look so much better. I quilted it on my Janome 6600 with white thread. It finished at 28" x 36" and that fits into the newborn category for a Project Linus quilt.

I still have lots of the purple leftover hsts that I was not able to incorporate into this quilt. I had cut a lot of the purple/purple hsts in half to make my hourglass blocks for the border and of course I had cut way too many of them. I am not too sure what to do with all of these bits and pieces...I may just put the triangle shapes into a little baggie and add them into my 'triangle' parts bin. I use these triangular shaped bits for the corners when string/crumb piecing. Who knows there just may be a crumb quilt coming that only uses purple in the corners - but for now it will have to wait! I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge here. Hop on over to soscrappy's blog see what everyone else has made with their purple scraps.


On a different note, today I had intended on spending a good part of the day in my sewing room but instead I will be driving to Toronto and picking up my Mom, sisters Cheryl and Christine and nieces Deanna and Eva-Anne. We will be driving to see my sister Glenda in hospital. She was in a car accident yesterday morning and her car was totalled - thankfully she only has a fractured sternum. She is supposed to be released today so we will be bringing her back to her home and making sure that she has everything that she needs. I live about an hour north of Toronto and she lives about 45 mins west of Toronto, so it will be a long day for me and I know I will be quite tired by the time I get back home. It will be a huge relief to see her and to make sure that she really is okay. I do know that the type of injury she has (her air bag did not go off so her chest area was not protected from the seat belt or steering wheel) does take quite a bit of time to heal completely and that it is quite painful. I hope for a speedy recovery for her.

12 comments:

vtquilter said...

Hugs Ellen and safe travels today. I hope your sister has a very speedy recovery. Having family around will help a lot.
Very cute quilt and I look forward to lots of crumbs with purple corners!

Jan-Maree said...

Your quilt is really gorgeous and I know whoever receives it will love it. So sorry to hear of your sister's accident -a horrible fright for everyone. No doubt she will feel better just for having you all there for a while! Nothing beats family! Sending you hugs.

Judiquilts said...

Ellen, I hope your sister is recovering well. What do you do with the 'crumbs'? I usually throw the really small bits away, perhaps there is a use for them? Regards, Judy

Sarah said...

Your purple quilt is gorgeous! Sounds like your sister had a close call! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

greelyrita said...

We all take life for granted, every one of us.

Love is all that matters.

Of course, quilts are manifestations of love.

Hugs for your sister, you and all your family..

Peg said...

Love the purples! Prayers for your safe travels and your sister's speedy recovery!

Edith said...

Hope your sister mends well, she is blessed to have such a caring family. Your purple quilt is lovely.

Kathy said...

Your purple pinwheel quilt is top notch! No matter how you ended up quilting it the look is sensational. Hope your sister gets healed quickly.

Sheila said...

Your purple quilt is beautiful! I love purple.
So sorry to hear about your sister. What can they do for that kind of a break?

Cathy Tomm said...

So sorry to hear about your sister. Glad she will recover. Your purple pinwheel quilt is very cute. Glad to hear you got it done.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful purple finish...and great news that your sister will be OK.

Cyn ;-) said...

Very pretty purple baby quilt.
So sorry about your sister - prayers to all of you for quick healing and safe travel for you.
Hugs,
Cyn; -)
ps: I had a sternum fracture from an auto accident and it does take a long time to heal, but heal it will. If she is a side-sleeper, give her a pillow to cushion her chest... it really helps. I share this in the hopes that my recovery will be a boost for all of you to hope for the best.