Friday, June 29, 2012

I Needed a Pep Talk

It appears that I needed a bit of a pep talk when it comes to quilting. I don't know why, but I have become quite unproductive in my sewing room. Lately, when I am in my sewing room it feels like I am just spinning my wheels. Sometimes I go in my room and sit down in front of my sewing machine and just watch tv - what's up with that? I don't know why this has happened other than maybe I just have too many projects underway and it is a bit overwhelming. Almost every surface is covered in projects that are 'in progress'. I feel like I am just hopping from project to project and not getting anything accomplished other than just shuffling them around.  After I had my pep talk, I made a few decisions and one of them was to set a couple projects aside while I focus on completing others. This quilt is one of the quilts I decided to spend time on today. I haven't worked on this quilt top since April - I last posted about it here. I just finished making 26 blocks today to make a total of 90 blocks. After I looked back at my last post I saw that I had previously made 65 blocks so I must have lost one in my room because when I counted them this morning I only had 64. Now that all of the blocks are made I am going to start sewing them into a top and I plan to keep the layout as it is - I do like the diagonal look. I am thinking about doing a red narrow inner border and making the outer border piano key style from green strips. Of course, I won't make my final decision about the borders until I actually get to that step. Even though there is red and green in the quilt I don't want it to look like Christmas. I plan another day of sewing tomorrow and I am so looking forward to it!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I can so understand where you are coming from. I've been feeling exactly the same way, lately. And I think it is due to the way too many projects going at one time syndrome. It is amazing how much better even one finish has made me feel.

Peg said...

It can get overwhelming when there are so many things going on all at once. Glad to see the pep talk worked - this is going to be a lovely quilt!

vtquilter said...

Very smart to just pick one and work it to a finish. Sometimes we just need a complete to feel better about sewing. Way too many projects going on at my house too!

scraphappy said...

I think we all have those moments from time to time. Keeping several projects in progress keeps us from getting bored, but it can get out of hand in a hurry. Finding one focus project on which to focus sounds like a great motivator. Seeing something get finished is always good to motivation. Log cabins are such a great choice, your border options sound perfect.

Quilter Kathy said...

My two cents is that sometimes life just gets overwhelming (and throw in a garden and sleep deprivation) and it's too much to think about. That's when I leave all the on going projects/messes in the sewing room and I go outside, drink tea and do some hand work.