Sunday, May 20, 2012

Work, work, work.....

Yesterday afternoon I managed to find my way into my sewing room and....my husband came along with me! He finally had some time to take a look at my vintage Singer 301a. He took the cover off the top of the machine and greased the gears and then he took the bottom off and greased the required spots in the nether regions of the machine. He also showed me exactly where I was supposed to oil the machine on a regular basis. Once he reviewed all of the oiling spots with me I saw that I was doing a pretty good job on keeping the machine well oiled. I was such a fraidy cat to actually open the machine but once I saw that there wasn't a monster in it I realized how basic these machines really are. I know I can do all the internal oiling and greasing myself! Of course, once the machine was looked after I needed to test it out and I made 12 more Little House blocks. I have been wanting to work on these blocks but for some reason I only want to sew them on this machine. I plan on getting more sewing done today - before I went to bed last night I started pulling out bits of yellow fabric so that I can make some blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge that I hope to have ready to show on Saturday.


The garden is bigger than it looks - that boat is 16 ft long.
Even though I haven't been spending much time sewing or blogging, I am still visiting all of my favourite blogs and keeping up with what everyone is working on. One of the major themes that I find appearing in a lot of blogs is that a lot more time is being spent working/playing outside now that the wonderful warm weather has finally arrived and that is exactly what I have been doing as well. My husband recently had a birthday and my eldest son gave him the gift of time! Adam came home for a couple days and worked hard in the garden along with me and my other son Eric. We all weeded the vegetable patch - I think there were at least 10 weeds/cm - at least it felt and looked that way. The boys did a lot of the heavy work - they emptied the compost bin and dug it all into the garden and Adam helped his Dad take down a dying plum tree - they removed it stump and all. Today, my husband and I will start planting - I know I will be putting in the bean seeds and we have tomatoes, cukes, peppers, beets and zuccini plants ready to go too. At the back of the photo you can barely make out the raspberry bushes and the rhubarb patch. We already have some things growing - they planted themselves and we just left them to grow.

8 comments:

Peg said...

Wow, lots of work getting done at your house! Beautiful little quilt. Good to hear your machine is humming along!

Josie said...

That is some size of veggie bed you have there. Bet you could feed a small army from it ;o) Hard work to get it all prepped and ready to plant but so worth it when you're eating your own produce.
Love the little houses... the finished quilt is going to be gorgeous.
Hugs

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
it's wonderful that your son helped you gardening. Spring is the time you had to have more than 10 hands to do all the things.
Your houses are gorgeous. I love the red doors very much. I hope I can start building houses when I'll be retired in July. I think it's a wonderful work doing in the garden.
Have a nice week and take care
Roswitha

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I really love your little houses. I want one too! I really hope to make a little house quilt too. Thanks for the rhubarb. Love sis

Jan-Maree said...

Cute houses as always and that is some serious veggie patch! Happy planting!

Jan-Maree said...

Cute houses as always and that is some serious veggie patch! Happy planting!

laurajane said...

Love those little houses .xx

vtquilter said...

Love the little houses and so nice your sons helped get the gardens ready for planting.