This block certainly was such a challenge for me! I actually worked on it over a 3 day period in bits and pieces of time and I was glad for that because I really did need to take frequent "rests" from working on it. I read up about applique at various sites on the web and knew that I was supposed to reverse the design and I don't know where I went wrong because it ended up being the reverse of the finished block shown on the instruction sheet.
Overall, I think I did an acceptable job for being a newcomer to applique (this is my second time) but I am a little disappointed about the tips of my tulips. No matter how much I tried I could not get the innies to go as deep or as sharp as they were supposed to be and I could not get the points to work out either. As a matter of fact, I did the purple tulip twice and messed it up both times but I have decided to leave it the way it is. I found that if I cut a little deeper into the innie then I was unable to turn the fabric under.
I am learning so much from making these little blocks as well as my Dear Jane blocks and learning new skills is always a good thing. I know that my applique will get better with practice and maybe I just need to use a different technique instead of back basting when I am working with shapes like the tulip tips. This was my first time doing embroidery and I used a very simple outline stitch for the stems as directed in the instructions. I am happy with the way it turned out. I have cross-stitched previously so I do have a good selection of embroidery floss available to me and it was great that I was able to easily find the colour that I wanted to use.