Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Winds of Change

Today was the first day that I have been able to find time to sew all week and boy oh boy did it ever feel good to get into my sewing room. I worked on the scrappy pink Project Linus quilt and I sewed the 9-patches into groups of 4 and added white sashing all around. I want it to be big enough to be considered a "child's quilt" rather than a "toddler quilt" and in order to do that it needs to be at least 60" long. It isn't quite that long - only 56" so far so I need to add another little border. I have decided to just use some of the extra 2.5" squares to make up the difference. I do think it will be really cute when it is all done and it is a great way to use up a lot of scrappy bits.

Things have changed a little bit this past week - I have started working part-time. I don't know what came over me but in December in the spur of the moment I contacted a former employer to see if he needed anyone on a part-time basis and he said he would contact me in January. Well January came and went and I didn't hear anything so I thought that was it but recently things did start happening and I started working last Monday. I had already had a very heavily scheduled week planned including an overnight trip visiting with one of my sisters, a couple day trips to Toronto, add in spending time researching and buying a vehicle and working at the new job meant that I had no time left for sewing or anything else for that matter! I am hoping that things will settle down quickly and I will be able to get back to my sewing routine - I had so many goals set for this month that I was not able to achieve - c'est la vie!

12 comments:

Brenda said...

I am loving the pink quilt - and thanks for the size information. I was wondering about that today so now I know!!

And congrats on the job!! More money for your addiction!! I am kidding, but good for you!! I think, this being so unexpected, that this week or so, might be a bit messed up, but you will find it easy to fit everything in once you get used to the new schedual!! ignore the spelling, hmmm, I don't know!!

I have not sewn in weeks, April has to be more productive. HAS to be!!! I do really like your pink quilt.... and I think any one who gets to use it will love it!!!
Here is to a great end to March 2012 and a wonderful April!!
Enjoy the part time job and your routine will be even better then before!!

Kelli said...

That will make a really sweet quilt when it's done! Some child is going to be very lucky to have it!! :o) Congrats on the new job, and hope things settle down for you so you can get your sewing time in, Ellen. xo

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like a very busy week. So glad you had some time to relax and sew...that's a great scrappy pink quilt!

Jan-Maree said...

What a gorgeous little girl quilt! Someone is going to absolutely love it. Good luck with the new job! I am sure things will settle down once you get a chance to adjust to the new schedule!

Kathy said...

Congratulations on the call back for work! I love how your pinks and reds are coming together in this child's quilt. You are progressing with it nicely. Using the blocks as additional sashing is a very good idea. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

soscrappy said...

Great pink quilt! The white sashing is a perfect addition. Hope everything settles down soon enough at work, it sounds like you have been extra busy juggling it all.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

It has been a whirlwind of a week for you! Everything turned up roses, which is a nice way to end a week. Glad you had time to so today and i love this little pink quilt! Love sis

Peg said...

Very nice scrappy quilt! Hope the job works out well for you!

Edith said...

Pretty little Pink quilt. Congratulations on the job. Please take a moment to check out my new pink squares for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

vtquilter said...

Glad you are back and able to get some relaxing sewing time in. This is a very cute pink quilt any little girl would love to snuggle under. Congrats on the new job. Soon enough you'll get back into a routine and everything will get back to the new normal for you.

Cathy Tomm said...

I did not sew this week. Your pink quilt is looking good. I love the idea of the pink boarder you have started on. It will be a great little girls quilt.

Elly D said...

Really cute child's quilt in the making Ellen. Congratulations on your job. I hope things settle down for you soon.