Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Jacob's Ladder - Work in Progress

Strips ready for sewing and cutting.

Extra strips to stock the strip bins.
Cutting for quilts does take a lot of time - I can attest to that because I just finished cutting all the strips that I will need to finish making the blocks for this quilt. I have 31 blocks made and I need 41 more blocks and I have cut for at least that. I ended up having to cut from yardage because although I am making my blocks scrappy, I am using the same fabrics within each block. When I checked my bins I had plenty of blue and background neutral strips in there but they did not necessarily correlate to the sizes that I needed to pair together - 2" and 3.5" strips. I ended up just cutting a hunk off of each piece of yardage that I pulled from the cupboard, ironed it and started cutting. Whatever was left after I cut what I needed I cut down into strips for my bins. It really is so much simpler to just be able to take from the bins - that is for sure! The next step for this quilt is to cut and sew all of the 4-patches and also the hsts for each block and then the best part - sewing the blocks together! I am so hoping that I will be able to finish this quilt and get it delivered to my nephew before this month is over.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You can do it!!
I sometimes sift through the cupboard and cut bits off that I need too.
Your nephew will love his quilt.

Jan-Maree said...

it always feels soo good to get all that cutting done doesn't it!

soscrappy said...

Great looking fabric collection. It is easier to pull from the bins, but they can't have all the right colors all the time.

vtquilter said...

Love those colors and looks like you are ready to put the pedal to the medal and get sewing! Good luck getting this done for your timeline... I know you can do it!